Gibson Brands Forums

30's Gibson L-0: evaluation based on condition

shlepakoff

There's plenty that can't be seen in the pics, so it's really a hard call. Can it take being strung up, even at a slacked tuning so you can get a feel for tone (which I'm guessing will be great) and string height/neck angle?

This fact is not necessarily relevant to your case, but I paid a thousand bucks for my '31 L0, and put a thousand in. For 2K I have a great percussive dry toned gem. If I could squeeze out $2800 from a buyer I would consider myself lucky, but it ain't goin' nowhere.

As noted above, there is just so much you can learn from photos. These give no idea what is going on under the hood. Is the bracing there and in tact, what condition is the bridge plate in and such. The only way to figure out what a fair price would be is to figure out all that needs to be done and then put together a ballpark estimate in your head of what it will cost to remedy them. I ending up spending $900 on my 1942 J-50 but there were no surprises as I knew where I stood before getting into it figuring it would cost me around $800 for the needed repairs and to replace missing parts. Without knowing that your question cannot be answered other than I will buy anything if it is cheap enough.

Archived