Gibson Brands Forums

New vs Old

Ronny

Hi folks

I've only ever bought used Gibson and decided to go for a new one this time (online) specifically a 2017 CS 356 custom. It sound great but the finish quality seems really low, amateurish in fact, compared to other guitars i own (Taylor T5z, JTV 59 US Variax)

Is this across the board as I'm having second thoughts now

Any help would be much appreciated Thanks ronny

No. If every Gibson had amateur finishing since at least 2017 someone would have noticed by now.

How many do you want? 500k allowance.

This is a £3500 CS 356 these are from just a few, i sent the guit back and the shop sent me another which was worse its on its way back for a full refund as we speak.

Only ever bought used before so surprised, the shop said its a big problem but hopefully when the new owner takes over QC will improved.

post-95354-032340900 1537532260_thumb.jpg

post-95354-029438800 1537532358_thumb.jpg

This is a £3500 CS 356 these are from just a few, i sent the guit back and the shop sent me another which was worse its on its way back for a full refund as we speak.

Only ever bought used before so surprised, the shop said its a big problem but hopefully when the new owner takes over QC will improved.

wow, that doesnt look £3500 to me! shouldnt have left CS looking like that

Just answering your question of "is this across the board?" (I.e every guitar they make)

Yep, your guitar looks sh!tty in the finish department, but I still doubt every guitar they made in 2017 looks like yours or we'd have dozens of posts about it and lots of photos showing the same thing. Doesn't help you, but that wasn't what you asked.

Hi folks

I checked out five major shops and looked at about 15 different guits all customs and took some screen shots 10 of them had finish problems, some of the worst were £4500 guitars

Seems they have forgotten how to do binding especially the 7 ply.

Heres 2 dropbox links see what you think.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/a3sbp7o0rx30jh7/AAAiaWBaQP-ZV6D_dVhdrJM1a?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/j4536abuohwyssv/AABZiZyobdmUJNoGXVlUs7LOa?dl=0

Thanks Ronny.

Hi folks

I checked out five major shops and looked at about 15 different guits all customs and took some screen shots 10 of them had finish problems, some of the worst were £4500 guitars

Seems they have forgotten how to do binding especially the 7 ply.

Heres 2 dropbox links see what you think.

https://www.dropbox...._dVhdrJM1a?dl=0

https://www.dropbox....GXVlUs7LOa?dl=0

Thanks Ronny.

BS

My original Question was intended to be, do i keep looking for another one with better workmanship on the finish or is this the Gibson standard?

The bulls%&ers obviously have low standards if you think those photos are acceptable, or kindly explain the bullshit comments please as i'm missing something.

Thanks Ronny.

You said 10 out of 15 guitars had problems, that means 1 out of 3 in the small data set you saw were good. Hence, there are good guitars out there. So, buy one of those 5 ... or if that is not the model you want, get with a store manager to explain your concerns and what you want in terms of model and quality. Or just take a flier and buy a new one off the Internet without seeing it in person (knowing you can return it). Other than that, what are your options?

You said 10 out of 15 guitars had problems, that means 1 out of 3 in the small data set you saw were good. Hence, there are good guitars out there. So, buy one of those 5 ... or if that is not the model you want, get with a store manager to explain your concerns and what you want in terms of model and quality. Or just take a flier and buy a new one off the Internet without seeing it in person (knowing you can return it). Other than that, what are your options?

The one I'm after is the CS356.

As i said there seems to be a big problem with the 7 ply binding ones, the 10 out of 15 i checked out were customs with the 7 ply some were les pauls some were CS356s all the 356 guits I've looked were bad I've had two faded cherry ones here at home they were terrible.

Also Gibson have none planned for this year according to a dealer, not sure if thats just 2018

Think ill stick with used.

Hi folks

I've only ever bought used Gibson and decided to go for a new one this time (online) specifically a 2017 CS 356 custom. It sound great but the finish quality seems really low, amateurish in fact, compared to other guitars i own (Taylor T5z, JTV 59 US Variax)

Is this across the board as I'm having second thoughts now

Any help would be much appreciated Thanks ronny

Where are you based? Reason I ask is, bad handling, humidity and temperature changes and so on can mess with a Gibson's finish severely while it's in transit. Especially when it's being shipped from the USA to Europe and that isn't necessarily Gibson's fault. Ultimately, Gibson's aren't designed to be pristine forever, they age with the player and that's one of the magical things about them. So you might as well embrace it and just go with it. I mean it's only gonna craze and stuff eventually anyway, it's an inevitable and unpreventable process. Above all, it's an instrument, not an ornament. How does it feel? How does it play? Are you enjoying it? If the answer is yes, keep it!

Don't get me wrong, I understand your frustration. The brand new Gibson Custom I purchased recently had a few blemishes on it but they were corrected easily. But in the scheme of things it was a waste of my time lol in a few years time, it'll have dings and scratches and crazing all over its body...

I've noticed that European guitar techs don't always set Gibson's up the American way either, so they don't play or remain in tune as well as they're meant to. I'm assuming a few things get lost in translation (while converting imperial to metric) and that's why European Gibson's occasionally have slightly higher action and looser truss rods. Every Gibson I've played (that had been set up by a skilled American) felt like a precision instrument whereas every European Gibson I've played had higher action and a spongier feeling neck, which ruined its playability. So this is another factor too.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived