Gibson Brands Forums

Music Villa Video- Gibson J15 vs J45 Standard

BluesKing777

Maybe five years ago, I wouldn't have appreciated the sound of that slim-bodied J-45 Studio. What the ear wants to hear can change over time. And for a certain strummy style of music (that seemed to be absent in this demo. . .ok, maybe call it Americana- 'don't really use the term with a straight face, but it's gaining traction), the guitar would be well-suited. Maybe better than for, say, single note stuff.

The J-45 Studio sounded brighter, and hopefully it wasn't due to it having much fresher strings, but unless strings of equal age and type are noted, it's always a possibility. And this is one demo where the difference can be heard. 'Do miss Tony Polecasto's smorgasbord of clips in his a/b's, though.

For the money, as a new guitar that’s ready to hit the road/studio straight out of the door, the J15 is unbeatable.

I would grab one off the peg and walk onstage with it anywhere, terrific instruments!

I ask since you're a working musician - would the slimmer body of the J-45 Studio appeal to you? Or is the J-15 OK the way it is?

I ask since you're a working musician - would the slimmer body of the J-45 Studio appeal to you? Or is the J-15 OK the way it is?

I’ve had troubles with tendinitis in my right shoulder before, and admittedly the slimmer body of the J45 Studio would be useful in that instance. I very nearly bought a Super Dove for that very reason, but couldn’t quite get into the idea of such a stage-specific guitar. I played an L-00 live for a couple of years and the tendinitis went away thankfully, never to return so far.

In any normal circumstance, I’d pick the J15 thought.

Archived