Gibson Brands Forums

Counterfeit Les Paul Supreme

Damocles

A few days ago the shop I work at bought what appeared to be a Gibson Les Paul Supreme. This morning one of our customers informed us that it was a fake, made in China. We contacted Gibson, attached photos, and they replied, rather instantly, that it was counterfeit and explained how it was so.

The question now is, what do we do with it? We can't sell it. Apparently, it's illegal to do so. We do have the name and address of the person who sold it to us. Can we report them to the police, the FBI???

Edited by Damocles

A few days ago the shop I work at bought what appeared to be a Gibson Les Paul Supreme. This morning one of our customers informed us that it was a fake, made in China. We contacted Gibson, attached photos, and they replied, rather instantly, that it was counterfeit and explained how it was so.

The question now is, what do we do with it? We can't sell it. Apparently, it's illegal to do so. We do have the name and address of the person who sold it to us. Can we report them to the police, the FBI???

Report them to your local police. the seller will play dumb, but will probably be persuaded to return your money. would love to see a picture of it.

Edited by old guy

• 2 weeks later...
...I'm curious as to what the give aways are about the guitar that it isn't real?...

There used to be half-a-dozen fake 'Supreme' threads here each week a few years back. It got to the stage where complete neophytes became experts through sheer repetition.

That's a typical example and there are many signs of it being counterfeit but one of the most obvious is that instead of the script on the MoP peghead inlay saying 'Supreme' it says 'Suprome'.

Once Seen Never Forgotten.

Just a few others whilst we are here?

The general shape of the cutaway horn and peghead outline are incorrect.

Horn is too pointed and points away from the body. On a real LP the horn is more rounded and points directly forward.

Peghead 'moustache/open-book' shape is far too flat and the definition/carving is poor. Gibson's shape is much more precise.

Gibson Supremes don't have fret-over-binding at the fret-ends.

Gibson does not use screw-in posts for the bridge.

...etc...etc...

Pip.

Edited by pippy

• 1 year later...

Here in Cincinnati we just had a fake Supreme show up on Craigslist until the seller was chased off by someone who was onto him.  An interesting tell was the grain pattern on the front being identical to the grain pattern on the back.  This was due to the same 'photo veneer' being used on both sides.  Here is the link to posting calling out the fake:

https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/msg/d/cincinnati-fake-gibson-les-paul-supreme/7000595948.html

• 2 months later...

Snap the neck off or run over it. Gibson loves to do that to guitars that are not worthy. Sorry for your loss.

Yeah the seller is just gonna claim he bought it and though it was real. Supremes are one of the most faked LP's there are. Why I don't know. I've only seen one in a Guitar Center all of my almost 35 years of playing. Why not fake something more common.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper