Gibson Brands Forums

Baggs Of Fun...

BluesKing777

I made a little test track of my new Baggs Align EQ pedal on my Baggs M1A soundhole pickup in my old LG3.

(I got the pickup to use in another guitar and it doesn't fit in the soundhole - the LG3 already has a Martin Thinline undersaddle pickup that was put in years ago...but it needs all kind of help to get rid of the Quack, Aura and Tonedexters and the like).

But I really like the sound of the LG3 with the Baggs M1A in the soundhole. Almost plug and play, baby! But I prefer EQ, so have the battery operated Baggs Align EQ.......

So, it is not exactly 'acoustic' sounding and it is not exactly a Tele, but I could run with it at the blues jam. Maybe. (The Baggs pickups are good to sing with - they leave a bit of space for vocals, and the vocal mic at the jam night can pick up a bit of acoustic as well as your vocal.)

Anyway, Baggs of Fun being had - some blues for you:

https://soundcloud.com/bk7-3/alignedlg37c

BluesKing777.

M1A in LG3:

vx0y9ULh.jpg

Some drastic cuts in EQ:

qF32J3Ch.jpg

Thanks Leonard and Jinder!

Yes, the soundhole thing is pretty bizarre - the online reviews for the Baggs M1A often say it sounds ‘exactly like my guitar sounds’. You have to be kidding! Didn’t they have it turned on?

This morning, I played my 1935 Gibson L50 for my ‘blues in C’ of all kinds Sat Morn regimen. After I grabbed the Waterloo WL-14 L ladder braced and it sounded older! Not so in the recording.

But yes, it is a good sound and I like swapping it around different guitars that I actually want to play for the playability.

And....I don’t really know why, but they sound totally different recorded than plugged in an amp. Same setup above, first thing I did was turn all the treble off on my amp. But the above was great direct to a friend’s PA! So we all need to try them in different gadgets before we put them in a drawer. [blink]

And Jinder, that pickup from Buck is a rare gift and glad you are liking it. But the elves do say you need the Sunrise preamp to make it perfect! (I was going to buy the model with the long lead and guitar plug to put in different guitars but they are still being made....zip for sale.

BluesKing777.

You'd make an Esteban sound good.

Thanks Murph, but so untrue....

And I would probably break out in a rash like a nerve agent would cause, touching an Esteban after spoiling myself with all these wonderful acoustics over the last few years......well, funny that, but it is ....since I gave up smoking and funneled the cash to the Guitar Fund. [tongue]

Yes, everything meeds to be just..so. :mellow: No more junk, played too many. So I got a little cut from a sharp fret today on my Gibson L50.

BluesKing777.

Thanks Billroy, I will keep practicing.

Maybe not today, I have a cut on my ring finger just under the nail and between the callus. Don’t know how I got it, it is sore, but I think I got it playing my old Gibson L50 and a sharp fret somewhere there! Bummer. Could be lap slide day. Or a really long drive somewhere. Chores? Eeek.

Now more on pickup sounds.... i was thinking about it just before and I could tell fairly well which of MY guitars someone was playing in a blind test...acoustically. But with a soundhole pickup, not a chance. And to be honest, which a lot of these people (look up M80 and the Amazon user reviews!) are not......... We want to be able to play the guitar electrically but it doesn’t sound one single flipping thing like it does acoustically! [mellow]

BluesKing777.

Archived