Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Custom Historic '60 Les Paul Standard VOS 2018

Victory Pete

Congratulations! I think you'll be happy with it. Of course, buying via the internet is different, you'll never know for sure until you have it in your hands.

Yeah, some of it is hype. Hide glue and historic composition plastic don't do much, other than allowing them to call it "true historic". But, just the overall quality of the instrument, the finish, the top, long neck tenon, proper neck angle, PAF's, neck profile, all together just make them fantastic. It's just a great instrument.

Hope you enjoy it. Post some pics when you get it.

msp_thumbup.gif

I know there are lots of people here with numerous Les Pauls and Strats. I consider myself lucky to have one real nice Les Paul and SG. There is no way I could afford the guitar you are getting. But if I could ... I would buy EXACTLY the guitar you are buying. In my book, a truly excellent pick! I am super excited for you, and your choice of guitar!

L20540000003000-00-220x220.jpg

I know there are lots of people here with numerous Les Pauls and Strats. I consider myself lucky to have one real nice Les Paul and SG. There is no way I could afford the guitar you are getting. But if I could ... I would buy EXACTLY the guitar you are buying. In my book, a truly excellent pick! I am super excited for you, and your choice of guitar!

right on. msp_thumbup.gif

Shipment ended up in Boston. After many calls and some screaming FedEx delivered the guitar at Midnight Friday night. I was tired but anxious to see what is was like. I was first disappointed with the color, it was less ambered from the pictures online. It is still very nice and I'll have to get used to it. Acoustically it is vey lively in my hands. Compared to my 2001 LP Classic there is not much difference at low volumes but when I cranked the amp it really came alive. I dont think the price difference is really justified but I am glad I now have one of these historics.Sorry no pictures, I am tired of not being able to easily post pictures here.

I noticed something strange. The plastic pick guard bezels are way too high. The top of the Chrome pick up covers themselves are slightly below the plastic. This is a bit cumbersome to play as my pic keeps hitting them. Am I to assume this is the way they made them in 1960?

It would probably be a better idea to buy regular Gibson USA style rings which are lower than the Historic ones and keep the originals in case you ever wish to sell the guitar.

Up to you to decide, of course, but if I was in your position I wouldn't ruin the originals.

Pip.

What is it showing exactly?

It illustrates the answer to your earlier question;

...The top of the Chrome pick up covers themselves are slightly below the plastic...Am I to assume this is the way they made them in 1960?...

Pip.

Archived