Gibson Brands Forums

Martin makes a great sounding Gibson...

sbpark

I can't lie, the guitar sounds great. Not sure why they went with a magnetic sound hole pickup, and the guitar just seems to have an identity crisis, but again, I do think it sounds great! It's too bad though that Martin's attempt at a burst doesn't even come close to Gibsons.

While I can live without the "The Martin" script thing, I personally always felt Bozeman missed the boat by refusing to budge from the standard scalloped X brace carve they came up with in the early Montana days. Collings and apparently Martin have re-discovered the tall thin non-scalloped X bracing that prior to 1942 was characteristic of many Gibson guitars.

And I love magnetic soundhole pickups. They are all that I use.

you just found 3 implied faults in a fab seeming guitar from an awesome american builder off a video? having a gibson dosnt mean you get points for faulting other gits .just saying...ps Martin makes a great sounding Martin, Gibson makes a great sounding Gibson ...

you just found 3 implied faults in a fab seeming guitar from an awesome american builder off a video? having a gibson dosnt mean you get points for faulting other gits .just saying...ps Martin makes a great sounding Martin, Gibson makes a great sounding Gibson ...

Implied faults? The opinion about the headstock shape came off more as a preference. Zombywoof actually complimented the guitar with regard to 1) the bracing and 2) the soundhole pickup.

Martin also apparently makes a great sounding Gibson.

And for the record, I actually love the sound of that guitar.

Martin also apparently makes a great sounding Gibson.

And for the record, I actually love the sound of that guitar.

Turn around is fair play. The Hummingbird came about when Wilbur Fuller, under orders from Gibson's chief engineer, began designing a square shoulder jumbo based on a Martin dread with a Martin actually being brought in to copy. Apparently Fuller penciled the design, cut the top and the back and did all of the rim bending himself. The design debuted in 1958 as the Epiphone Frontier which a couple of years later became the Hummingbird.

Hmmm, , , let's not forget the J-60.

But this switching identity isn't really my cup of tea.

Still quite interesting with the un-scalloped/scalloped brace-mix. Though it doesn't bring the jumbo's voice closer to a Gibson.

1992 ~ osd6Yim.jpg

"Let's wear each others masks and sound like something in between - or something forth, , , or nothing at all. . "

Pass - but at least it's harmless - even friendly. And you know that can't be bad. .

Back around 2005-ish I bought a Martin CEO4 rosewood. It was basically a copy of a Gibson AJ. I kept it a year, but then couldn’t take it any longer. Very, very muddy voicing. If you played it quietly it wasn’t responsive. If you played it with some guts it was muddy.

Oh, and the sunburst was.... not a Gibson sunburst.

It was too bad. I traded in a Martin 000-GT for it, that I had gotten from Umanovs. My first Martin for this shiny new one. Some mistakes even I only make once.

I do like the pickup, but that’s about it. Do you need Nickle wound strings for the pickup to pick up?

The shape is too much like a fat girl with a pretty face.

Magnetic pickups do read nickel strings better than bronze. I know others who prefer white bronze strings. You can string with PB or bronze but to my ear the low end in particular can sound a bit muddy. I use Dearmond 210s but also own guitars equipped with a Gibson P-13 and a Gibson P-90. When I know I will be plugging in I use Newtone nickel strings. But I also just like nickel strings especially the feel of them.

Archived