Gibson Brands Forums

Maton Custom Shop

BluesKing777

What do you think of this puppy?

I am considering getting a 00 size Custom Shop - hand made! I mean, years ago it was a day trip across town to get to their workshop/factory but not long ago, they joined the dots of a couple of large freeways and the mental map has totally changed and I could be on the Maton Custom Shop doorstep in about an hour - so Giggle Maps tells me.

At shops, I have played 'commercial customs' I suppose they would be - customs made to sell at a shop? Sensational - about $6-7K. I suppose a full custom BK would be more.....

Here is a (larger) dread to give you an idea:

Here is a different spec:

And here is one a bit closer to what I want, maybe:

And this one is for sale at a shop:

Pretty cool to be able to do, eh? I guess I have always been a bit envious of the Gibson lovers getting a Custom....what's that you say? They don't do that anymore? Oh. :unsure:

BluesKing777.

Definitely something to think about. For whatever reason I have never felt the pull of a custom build. I figure there are more than a few guitars out there I would be happy with as they rolled out of the factory and in a rare display of total honesty I am just not good enough to warrant spending those kinds of dollars. But it is fun to think about. Me, I would go with an 000 size, soft V neck, 1 13/16" to 1 7/8" nut, 2 5/16" string spread at the bridge and a relatively flat board. Bracing would be tall, thin and non-scalloped with a slight taper. Probably mahogany for the body (no other wood develops that dry snap as time goes by) and maybe Englemann spruce for the top, old growth if I could get it. Might just throw on a banjo tuner and add an octave G string. To top it off, a hand rubbed varnish finish. Nothing too fancy though. Neck and multi-ply top binding and pearl dot markers with one on the 10th instead of the 9th fret as a nod to the old ways. No Abalone!

They do sound great and I have played a few 'Custom Shops in a Shop'...which has got the bug going.

Only catch I see is waiting 12 odd weeks and gulp...not liking it...

You rarely see a used one here....a few Custom Shop in the shop models for sale.

I have played, for seconds only, an 00 size in figured Tasmanian Blackwood/Sitka - Wow!; a 000 size in Wenge/Euro Spruce - Wow!; a 00 size Tommy E full Custom Shop in Queensland Maple/Sitka. (Queensland Maple is not one single thing like US Maple - it is more Mahogany(ish).

I will probably be a chicken and get a used one I can try out... [smile]

If this one was smaller, lookout!

https://skymusic.com.au/collections/acoustic-guitars/products/mason-custom-shop-w-a-may-616

BluesKing777.

Archived