Gibson Brands Forums

Serial # check/ build questions

s6275

Good evening! I recently acquired Steinberger GS #N13272. Metallic blue, set up/ rebuilt by Babicz.

I have been told it was built in Newburgh and is maple-bodied...but information I have found seems to indicate it is alder-bodied, and built in 1991, which seems to place it in the Nashville era. Can Gibson confirm any of these details? Thanks!

Good evening! I recently acquired Steinberger GS #N13272. Metallic blue, set up/ rebuilt by Babicz.

I have been told it was built in Newburgh and is maple-bodied...but information I have found seems to indicate it is alder-bodied, and built in 1991, which seems to place it in the Nashville era. Can Gibson confirm any of these details? Thanks!

Anyone?

Hi,

your guitar has been built on May 31, 1991, which clearly is within the Newburgh era. According to the 1991 price list the GS body was made of "imported and domestic hard woods". No way to tell for sure, if you can't see the body (or a part) without finish. Later (in Nashville) body specs changed, there were swamp ash, poplar, even mahogany back with figured maple top and other woods mentioned in lists and catalogs, however, I'm not aware of any reliable list or rule to know.

Bernd

• 4 months later...

Archived