Gibson Brands Forums

Unique Epiphone Caballero?

cdd3x

Hi everyone,

New member here. I stumbled across this forum while searching for some info on a guitar that I have (and haven’t found much information on). Seems like a great place to be.

Long story short, I’m getting married in a couple of months and the bachelor lifestyle (of owning too many guitars) is getting cut short. So I’m going to be selling off some I’ve collected over the years. This one in particular is kind of strange so I’m hoping someone with more knowledge than me knows something (anything) about it.

It’s an “El Caballero”, but not the typical small bodied mahogany version. It’s similar to a jumbo shape (?) with cutaway. And has a very southwestern motif on the headstock and fretboard inlay. Sun setting over the mountains. I’ll try and post some pictures if anyone was curious, but the only thing I’ve been able to find was here.

https://en.m.audiofanzine.com/acoustic-electric-folk-western-guitar/epiphone/caballero/

If anyone has any information on these, I’d love to hear. This little oddball (to me at least, maybe it’s more known than I assumed) has always been curious. Thanks for any help!

Doug

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Epiphone Cabellero

Epiphone Cabellero 1997-1999

Body:

Single rounded cutaway jumbo body

Solid spruce top

Mahogany back and sides

Round soundhole with five-ring rosette

Neck:

Set mahogany neck

Rosewood fingerboard with Mesa-Moon Southwestern motif inlays

Black headstock overlay with Epiphone logo and cactus Southwestern motif inlays

25.5" scale

1.725" nut width

Binding:

Multi-ply body binding

1-ply neck binding

Electronics:

Shadow Piezo pickup with parametric EQ

Hardware:

Stylized rosewood bridge with Southwestern motif inlays

Deluxe tuners

Colors:

Natural

Info is off an old website called Epiphonewiki. It went dead a while back but this was still out there.

Long story short, I’m getting married in a couple of months and the bachelor lifestyle (of owning too many guitars) is getting cut short. So I’m going to be selling off some I’ve collected over the years.

Warning: Getting married can cause you to own more guitars. Before I was married, I had two guitars. Now I have about 39 instruments in the stable, mostly guitars. Of course at some point I began promising my wife a piece of new jewelry every time I bought a guitar. She encouraged me to buy guitars. Of course, I ended up paying double for every instrument, but, such is life. And, plus, I am now 65 where when single I was only in my early 20s.

You’ve been forwarned. More instruments can come when married. A good thing! Plus my playing vastly improved from staying home with the kids/family! Another good thing!

Congrats on the upcoming marriage!

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

If you had dug a little deeper on the site you linked to it also stated the guitar was available from 1997-1999. The model is listed in the 1997 catalog under the Acoustic/Electric section.

And I have to agree with the marriage and guitar accumulation equation. When I first got married I owned a 1958 Tele and a 1960 Gibson J-200. My wife owned a 1994 Gibson J-100. Almost 20 years later the Tele and J-100 are gone and my wife has claimed the J-200 as her own. The "family" however has grown to over 12 including two 1950s Epiphones (mine) and a more recent Epi Broadway (my wife's).

Archived