Gibson Brands Forums

intonation string gauge

Hey guys and girls

I have a concern regarding the les paul studio model.

I recently began clamping a capo on the guitar and am struggling to maintain a good tuning during the strumming process.

I almost just gave up and said capos are for acoustics but I refused to accept that. I have 10 gauge strings and the issue is the low E. All the other strings are fine after the capo is set but the low E

I clamped this on the 3rd fret and am wondering if the guitar intonates better with 9's or 8's. This I'm referring to the low E string primarily. the notes can get a bit # and I was wondering if it's because of the gauge strings

I can't go back any further with the saddle piece if that's what you suggest. The first few frets are always a microtone too #. If I switched to 9's this has a thinner low E. The 10's have a 46 gauge string and the 9's have a 42 gauge string. will changing to the 42 gauge string flatten the fretted note out a bit?

and what would raising the bridge up a bit flatten the first few notes at the first few frets at the low E.

I think it depends on the capo. Les Pauls have fairly high frets and if the capo is too tight, it can bend the strings a bit. I can usually be compensated by getting the capo as close to the fret as possible. You didn't mention what brand of capo you're using. I bought a Thalia capo (expensive but really nice) and I don't have that issue with it. It has different inserts for different string radius and adjustable tension. People use them here all the time for their electrics. FYI, I'm using 9's on mine. I would think that with 9's you'd have even more of an issue. It's probably a mismatched radius.

Thanks for the reply michael.

I just strung this thing up monday.

10's

I checked it after but do guitars like to sit for a day or two after relieving the tension then stringing it back up?

I would think the guitar likes a few day to get used to new strings and for the tension to set.

In my first few lessons 30 years ago i was taught to remove each string and replace it then off to the next string. So one at a time.

But I usually take em all off and clean the fret board then string it up.

You guys recommend one string at a time when changing them?

Archived