Gibson Brands Forums

Bit of a grumble...

Lord Summerisle

Seriously thinking about treating myself to something I've always wanted - a new Gibson SG. Owing to a tax extension this year, I have a few bucks coming my way in late October or November or whenever Uncle Sam gets around to writing a refund check.

This has led to some serious ogling of the Sweetwater site.

Is it really necessary for a $1500 Gibson to come with a soft shell case? It looks like a nice case for what it is, but for an expensive guitar like that? This looks to me like nickeling-and-diming the customer because chances are, if I buy it, I'll end up tacking an Epi hardshell SG case onto the order.

Seriously thinking about treating myself to something I've always wanted - a new Gibson SG. Owing to a tax extension this year, I have a few bucks coming my way in late October or November or whenever Uncle Sam gets around to writing a refund check.

Is it really necessary for a $1500 Gibson to come with a soft shell case? It looks like a nice case for what it is, but for an expensive guitar like that? This looks to me like nickeling-and-diming the customer because chances are, if I buy it, I'll end up tacking an Epi hardshell SG case onto the order.

I feel ya! My 2016 Explorer came with a gig bag as well, I ended up buying the Epiphone case for it. What is really sad is that every Epiphone guitar that I have purchased came with no case at all, this includes the signature Brent Hinds Flying V. What's the deal with that?? [cursing]

I got a padded gig bag with my 2017 Gibson Les Paul Tribute. It's a nice one but I don't use it either. I'm looking at either a Gator or Epiphone case for it. Thankfully I have other Les Pauls, so I just use their case when transporting the Tribute. A hard shell case should be included on guitars that expensive.

If I buy the SG and an Epi hardshell case for it, I'll likely throw the Gibson gigbag up on ebay. But I'd be amazed if I got even a quarter of the cost of the Epi case back, that way.

It just annoys me a bit. I always think of Gibson Standards, whether LPs or SGs, as coming with a proper case. Which was the "case" - until this year's SG!

I accept that Studios come with gigbags. But this is a $1500 SG Standard.

If I buy the SG and an Epi hardshell case for it, I'll likely throw the Gibson gigbag up on ebay. But I'd be amazed if I got even a quarter of the cost of the Epi case back, that way.

It just annoys me a bit. I always think of Gibson Standards, whether LPs or SGs, as coming with a proper case. Which was the "case" - until this year's SG!

I accept that Studios come with gigbags. But this is a $1500 SG Standard.

My friend has a Studio and his came with a hard shell case. Tributes and Fadeds came with padded gig bags. Sweetwater was including a nice leather gig bag for a while. But, it's still a gig bag and not a proper hard shell case for an expensive guitar. Have you called your Sweetwater sales person and asked about a case upgrade?

Yeah - the price point for Gibsons with a real case should be more like $1000. No way I'd want an SG in a gigbag. Toothpick city!

Not sure I'd put my Gibson in an Epiphone case tho. My self-esteem's not that solid. Maybe an aftermarket case like a SKB.

I'd cover the Epiphone label with a Gibson bumper sticker or something. :) I got an SKB case for my 2007 Flying V for my birthday Monday and it's really nice, really solid.

Either negotiate a Gibson Hard Case in the Deal or buy a good Used one. For me getting Gibsons Lifetime Warranty is worth a couple more Bucks for new. I've had to use it over the past 30 years. Next to Martin it's the only Company whose Lifetime Warranty is really a Lifetime Warranty. They stand behind their Product & Repair or Replace at the Factory... Not some Unknown Tech at a Guitar Shop.. At least in my experience..

Most new $1000 Fenders don't come with a Hard Case either.. Or Gretsch's....

Sorry, that was not my intention. I posted that because I bought that guitar only one year ago and I can't believe that now Gibson doesn't include a HSC.

There's a few case companies on the filing that they haven't been paying for a while. Might be something to that whole pay yer bills thing.

rct

That must hold stickers really well. I'ma find onea them, see if a Strat or Tele will fit.

rct

Sorry, rct. I tried one of my Strats in it, for you, and it wasn't even close to fitting. I don't have a Tele but my best guess is that it would probably not fit either. The case is really fancy and well made but it is very heavy. I'm not sure if Gibson is selling them anymore but I saw one on Reverb that is new. They are asking $375 + $65 shipping! https://reverb.com/i...ase-2017-silver That's ridiculous. Gibson was selling them for $250. Here's a short video about it and what case candy came with the HP's:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0L_f8qNjLc

YES, ICFBI when I saw that the 2019 GIBSON USA 'SG' Standard is actually the 2016 GIBSON USA 'SG' Standard w/POS 490 R & T Pick-Up's and Soft-Shell Case BUT BUT BUT with a $400 PRICE INCREASE.I woukld NOT buy that Guitar with someone else's money !

I STAYED AWAY FROM THE 2016 'SG' STANDARD BECAUSE OF THE 490 R&T'S AND SOFT-SHELL CASE,BUT NOW? WITH THE $400 PRICE INCREASE,WHOA ! WAIT A SECOND !!! THIS IS JUST ANOTHER REALLY GOOD REASON NOT TO BUY THE 2019 GIBSON USA 'SG' STANDARD GUITAR.

There are good years at GIBSON USA and years to avoid. The 2017 'SG' STANDARD's were the year to get, when they were $1299 @ SWEETWATER and were in EBONY and the CHERRY SUNBURST(a colour that was SADLY discontinued). The 2018's were not bad, BUT just PRICE INCREASED to $1539 and instead of '57 Clssic P-Up's ya get '61 Re-Issue's, BUT THE HARD-SHELL CASE comes along with it.....

Well I like the look of 'em.... [thumbup]

GIBSON USA discontinued that colour, and that is TOO BAD.,,,best lookin 'SG' in years ! The 2017 HP Models had a case that was $300 at least, it is a Monstrosity ! I sent the HP Model I got back as MINE suffered from severe NECK-DIVE and the Guitar was un-playable. BUT, the 2017 SG Standard Trad 'BACK-BEAUTY' I did get as a replacement is BAD-A$$, its the 'SG' I waited for ! The case ROCKS too ! I do wish I had bought two 'SG' Standards in 2017 and one of 'em was the Cherry Sunburst, like yours, minus the Robo's.

Well I like the look of 'em.... [thumbup]

GIBSON USA discontinued that colour, and that is TOO BAD.,,,best lookin 'SG' in years ! The 2017 HP Models had a case that was $300 at least, it is a Monstrosity ! I sent the HP Model I got back as MINE suffered from severe NECK-DIVE and the Guitar was un-playable. BUT, the 2017 SG Standard Trad 'BLACK-BEAUTY' I did get as a replacement is BAD-A$$, its the 'SG' I waited for ! The case ROCKS too ! I do wish I had bought two 'SG' Standards in 2017 and one of 'em was the Cherry Sunburst, like yours, minus the Robo's.

Archived