Gibson Brands Forums

What year did Gibson ssitch from rosewood fretboards to other?

guitar_randy

What was lat year Gibson used rosewood on the fretboard instead of whatever is all used currently?

Gibson still uses rosewood on the fingerboards of many of their models, including the current (2019) lineup.

It is true that they offered pao ferro fingerboards (and some composite ones as well) for a number of years after the unconstitutional US Government raids on their facilities a few years ago, but they never truly stopped using rosewood.

Fender, by contrast, chose to go strictly with pao ferro on just their Mexican-made guitars, beginning in 2017.

[unsure]

Yeah - Their problems with gray market woods started around 2008. They were raided again in like 2012 and appeared to have reached some kind of consent agreement with the gov't that kept everybody out of jail. It appears that they agreed to stop using ebony as part of the agreement. That's when they started using Richlite. At the same time, they started pushing really hard on the alternative fretboard materials, like Richlite, almost as if to say they wanted to use Richlite the whole time. An ego will do that. I always figured they must have agreed to stop using ebony for a certain time period as part of the agreement, and that they'd be able to start using it again at some point.

They experimented with other materials while they were pushing the whole "We were wanting this the whole time" idea. Remember Mrs. Piggle Wiggle? "I'm doing this because I want to, not because you tell me to."

I worked for lying and thieving real estate developers my whole career, helping them navigate environmental regulations and keeping them out of trouble. That's why I recognized the game right off the bat as soon as Hank busted out the front door and started defending himself a half hour after the feds raided them. I've been involved in consent agreements and I recognize the signs of someone being under the government's thumb. This is what appears to be the case. We don't know for sure because the process allows this stuff to be kept under wraps.

At the same time, there have been some problems with everybody being able to get rosewood the past few years. That's a problem that everybody's starting to have. And ebony supplies are way down. So that's another problem they're facing right now.

• Upvote 1

I recall Gibson saying (but not where..) that Richlite was more expensive and they regarded it as a superior option.

I dont have a Richlite board so I have no dog in the race, but I do have 2 guitars with non-wood boards. They are different but they're good.

There is no objective reason why wood should be used as fingerboards (or anywhere else on a guitar). Its just a matter of peoples preference, and most people prefer what they are familiar with.

There is no objective reason why wood should be used as fingerboards (or anywhere else on a guitar). Its just a matter of peoples preference, and most people prefer what they are familiar with.

Wood vibrates better than other materials cause it's stiffer in one direction than it is in the other two directions. Line that direction up with the strings and you've got sustain. That's not an easy thing to accomplish with other materials.

Wood vibrates better than other materials cause it's stiffer in one direction than it is in the other two directions. Line that direction up with the strings and you've got sustain. That's not an easy thing to accomplish with other materials.

We know that's important for acoustic chambers of stringed instruments (except for the sustain claim. That doesnt make any sense).

Its true that the bending modulus of wood is larger along the grain than in the short transverse direction by a factor of about 9 or 10. Bar & plate metal also is stronger in the direction of extrusion.

But this can be designed directly into carbon fibre composites. Also they can improve the elastic anisotropic response if you know what result you are after. And that’s the point. It works great for acoustic stringed instruments. Solid bodies are not the same thing.

More vibration might be an advantage, but its not logically conclusive. Even less so for anisotropic response. Sure we all have opinions and experience, but we cant all agree either.

The very first (magnetic pickup) electric guitars were not made of wood, but of aluminium and bakelite. I've only heard recordings of them but they sound rich and sweet.

Edited by merciful-evans

IDK the answer to thequestion BUT, the EBONY FRET-BOARD I HAD ON MY 1979 'SG' WAS THE BEST FB I've ever played on. Recently I got an EXPLORER with a Baked Granadillo Fret-Board and outside of a slightly different colour it has/is very similar sounding/feel to Rosewood, which is what all the rest of my Guitars have on them.

I would have to say (PUN INTENDED) that the EBONY/WALNUT 'SG' I had was the wood combo that I preferred most, but the Mahogany/Rosewood Guitars I have had since (with the EXPLORER being the lone exception) that Guitar have all been perfectly acceptable....

Edited by Wild Bill 212

• 2 years later...

Does anyone know what country Gibson used rosewood from in 1998?  I'm awaiting a '98 explorer (DXSR nagh 1) from Canada and it's getting held up at customs and the agent wants to know.  I just spoke with Gibson and the Rep. couldn't answer from a guitar made over 20 years ago.   Thanks for any help!

Probably Indian Rosewood.  It wont be Brazilian which is the stuff that is totally banned (and I believe is on the original 50s LPs).

A few years ago the agency CITES put all species of Rosewood on the endangered list.. It meant for a few years that exporting any Rosewood at all needed a certificate from CITES.. It made things very painful.. Since then I think it was last year they put musical instruments on the exempt list as the amount of Rosewood on most guitars is tiny and most of the big companies have been sourcing it through sustainable plantations for many many years now,

Edited by Rabs