Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Flying V XPL??

DanWhitehead56

Hi,

I have had an Epiphone guitar since I was around 15, which is a Flying V with the Explorer headstock, which I bought second hand. I haven't really used it over the years as didn't really like how it played (top heavy, looked cool in your teens but awkward to hold, etc) and have on occasion looked for it's origin. I have seen that Gibson created a Flying V XPL, which is the closest I can find but my guitar still doesn't really match.

First of all, it's an Epiphone and I have not seen anywhere if Epiphone created any of these models in the 80's.

Secondly, the volume and tone controls seem to be in a different position to the pictures I have seen of the Gibson models.

There doesn't appear to be a serial number anywhere so I can't look it up that way. I would like to hope this is a genuine Epiphone model but may also have to be open to that this could be some strange hybrid someone has put together. Either way, I would be interesting to see what people think and If it is good news I am also considering selling for a new guitar.

Please let me know your thoughts and if anyone has come across anything like it?

Dan

post-95747-056917000 1538424233_thumb.jpg

Hi,

I have had an Epiphone guitar since I was around 15, which is a Flying V with the Explorer headstock, which I bought second hand. I haven't really used it over the years as didn't really like how it played (top heavy, looked cool in your teens but awkward to hold, etc) and have on occasion looked for it's origin. I have seen that Gibson created a Flying V XPL, which is the closest I can find but my guitar still doesn't really match.

First of all, it's an Epiphone and I have not seen anywhere if Epiphone created any of these models in the 80's.

Secondly, the volume and tone controls seem to be in a different position to the pictures I have seen of the Gibson models.

There doesn't appear to be a serial number anywhere so I can't look it up that way. I would like to hope this is a genuine Epiphone model but may also have to be open to that this could be some strange hybrid someone has put together. Either way, I would be interesting to see what people think and If it is good news I am also considering selling for a new guitar.

Please let me know your thoughts and if anyone has come across anything like it?

Dan

That is kinda weird looking considering the only Fling V I have seen was The Gibson version. The headstock does look like it would be top heavy compared with Gibson version which is pointed and has tuners on both sides. Check the Epiphone website to see if they have a serial number look up like the Gibson page. However thats only going to give you the production date. Believe it or not with Keith Richards love for Firebirds, ES models, Les Pauls and yes Tele's. He actually had a Flying V in 1969 used it in the Studio on two released out takes Stevie Wonders "I Don't Know Why" and "Jiving Sister Fanny" He also played it at the free concert they gave in Hyde Park London the same year.

Archived