Gibson Brands Forums

Another new guy

Touten2

Hello all! Another new guy from North Carolina. A brief history, about 35 years ago, I started taking guitar lessons. Marriage and children kind of put learning guitar off, and in 2000, I crushed the end of my ring finger on my left hand. 18 years later, my wife bought me an Epiphone Les Paul custom Pro in the Silverburst color, a beautiful instrument, and I’m looking forward to picking up where I left off 35 years ago. Looking forward to discovering more about the Gibson brands.

Hello and welcome.msp_thumbup.gif Also a big ouch on the ring finger. It reminded me decades back when I worked at Union Pacific Railroad, I was in the truck shop and a huge side frame fell over on my left hand. It hit mostly on the ring finger crushing the ring but the finger was ok. My problem was how in the world would I get that ring off it was so tight. It took a bit but that ring is gone. Thank God, that ring saved my hand. Then they outlawed jewelry at the Railroad after that. If theres a will, there is a way to play. Good luck playing.

....and in 2000, I crushed the end of my ring finger on my left hand....

Bummer, but welcome to the boards. Yeah, I stupidly broke my left index and middle fingers many years ago. They're not quite as flexible as the ones on my right hand. I can't play some chords. I play the chords that I can play. msp_thumbup.gif

Bummer, but welcome to the boards. Yeah, I stupidly broke my left index and middle fingers many years ago. They're not quite as flexible as the ones on my right hand. I can't play some chords. I play the chords that I can play. msp_thumbup.gif

Were alike on chords Cougar. Not that I broke fingers but I just cant reach out 4 frets with the pinky finger. Too much arthritis in it. If I have to use that finger on a string, I either cheat or avoid that song.

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome Touten2. Glad to see you haven't let your accident define you. Have you tried using a slide on the nub finger? I see some artists using the ring finger on left hand to hold a slide and I believe it would be easy to make one to fit your needs. I wish you the best of luck and enjoy the ride!

Archived