Gibson Brands Forums

Fretwire on 2019 models

EquinoxeStudios

Being the epitome of niceness that I am, I Googled, and it does say "low - cryogenically treated" for the 2019 LPs at least.

I'm assuming they're smaller than medium jumbo, which has been the standard for a long time.

Cryogenically treated fred do indeed last longer, which is great. But why go from medium jumbo to low...?

And what does "low" designate, exactly?

I hope I'm wrong, but I foresee a long life for this thread, because what else could it mean but smaller frets?

Personally, I like smaller frets like the ones found on vintage guitars. I'm glad to see Gibson is doing it. Oddly Fender has been going the other way to narrow tall frets. I hate them. A slide up the neck feels like you're going over railroad tracks.

I like the frets Gibson have been using, my 2012 Standard is by far my nicest guitar to play, but they are about the tallest I'd go. I don't like the frets on ESP's for example. I'm keen to check out the new models and see how they feel now they're "lower" (and wider too or staying quite narrow?!). Does seem weird that Gibson would go to low frets now when high fat ones seem to be very popular.

The HP guitars are what are taking up too much of the Gibson line and preventing them from offering other options. I hope they continue to lose money on them until they get rid of them. [thumbup] [thumbup]

Why would you want to limit peoples choice though?

Isn't it enough that you can get the guitar you like?

... mostly because of the neck heel ... i don't understand why it's not on all the guitars.

It is all about adding cost -- I am pretty sure there is more manufacturing in it than a normal one, especially when it is an option and not the primary neck-heel option. And any option is going to add cost, especially one requiring additional manufacturing. I am lucky in that I naturally adapted a technique where my thumb is not behind the neck when I play lead at the very highest frets ... hence, the softer neck heel for me is a non-event. (sorry if I am aiding this thread in going off topic)

2019 Les Pauls have what they are calling "low profile" fret wire. I emailed Customer service and the fretwire dimensions on those 2019's are supposedly .045" tall by .086" wide. That's surely not a real low profile fret. It's more like a medium width and kind of a little tall. I don't really trust what they're saying on Gibson's home page. Some vendors are calling the frets medium. Who knows. That's one reason I'm shying away from a 2019 without being able to play one and see what the frets are like.

Edit - I think this fret wire is just about the same size as my 2011 ES-335, which is about the perfect size. So that's good.

Archived