Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson jumbo vs. Guild

livemusic

I walked into Gruhn's in Nashville one day for a guitar pick. Walked out with a Guild F50R jumbo. It was sitting out in the open by itself and that was good marketing because I just picked it up and hit a few chords. I was astounded. Went into a quiet room and played, absolutely confirmed, had to buy it! I thought it was brand new but it was used. Mint condition.

This guitar is one of my favorites, I'm thinking top 3. Great sound and plays easy. Sounds good strummed, picked or fingerstyle. Great bottom end, wonderful sound.

I've yet to find a jumbo Gibson hit me like that but I have not found many to play. Do you think a Gibson jumbo is worth seeking out and if so, which one? Sound is most important to me. Beauty is nice but not at the top.

I like Gibson guitars, it would be nice to find a jumbo. New or used. (I also own 4 Guilds, great brand.)

The Guild F50R is a Rosewood model (is the one you purchased made in New Hartford?) most Gibson J 200’s are Maple.

It could just be your ears aren’t keen to the qualities of Maple.

Maple is very quick to decay (very little sustain) but the notes are clear and crisp with few overtones.In my experience Rosewood has a longer decay period and a lot more overtones (which can become very muddy)

95% percent of my guitars are maple bodied gibsons ... Sadly I’ve never really found a Rosewood guitar that pleased my ears , this may be the case with you in respect to maple bodied Jumbos.

Also Guilds are different to Gibsons and Martins in that they are built with balanced lows and highs instead of being booming in the bass department.

JC

I've got a Gibson & Guild jumbo in maple, and enjoy them both. They're different enough to remain interesting on their own unique merits.

I'd say if you like that big bottom end rumble, then yes, it's worth playing any Gibson jumbos that might come along. I've played quite a few that did nothing for me, but a good one will clearly stand out, and might very well illicit the same kind of reaction you initially had to your Guild.

I walked into Gruhn's in Nashville one day for a guitar pick. Walked out with a Guild F50R jumbo.... I was astounded.....

Lucky man! I am similarly blown away every time I pick up my New Hartford-built F50R.

I've yet to find a jumbo Gibson hit me like that but I have not found many to play. Do you think a Gibson jumbo is worth seeking out and if so, which one?

I must be pretty uninformed, but the only 17" lower bout Gibson I know about is the "super jumbo" SJ200 or SJ100. Might cost twice as much as the used Guild, and from the anecdotal comments I've heard, it might not compare that well unless you get a "good one."

Of course, the Guild jumbo line also offers a braceless arched lam maple back - the F50. I've got that arched maple back on my Corona-built JF30-12. It's awesome. Guild just makes incredible 12-strings.

Guild just recently got back to making new F50Rs at their new Oxnard plant. They're calling them F55 now. Pricy!

Try a J185 or J180...it would give you a different voice to the Guild (Maple, shorter scale, 1” less across the lower bout) and both are iconic guitars. I love my J180 am have yet to play a J185 I didn’t enjoy.

Archived