Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Studio damage

Maurotto

Hi folks,

I'm a lucky owner of a LPStudio Red Wine, I found a damage on the bottom of the body. Talkin' with a techinician, he looked at, and then he said it is normal due to nitro paint. I'm quite bit sure it will be fine, but you're more experienced then me, so I accept every tips as you can! [rolleyes]

Hi folks,

I'm a lucky owner of a LPStudio Red Wine, I found a damage on the bottom of the body. Talkin' with a techinician, he looked at, and then he said it is normal due to nitro paint. I'm quite bit sure it will be fine, but you're more experienced then me, so I accept every tips as you can! [rolleyes]

No one here can even vaguely give you a meaningful opinion without some pics of what the problem is ...

I've no idea from that snap what was the cause of the problem but I can assure you 100% that that's not normal.

If a technician said that looks normal I'd suggest you find a different technician.

Pip.

The pic isn't nearly large enough to tell what's going on. Some crack line in the finish/wood?

cracked on the bottom of the body. it looks like it's opening in two parts. If you look closely, in fact, the crack is exactly on the center line where the two parts of the body are connected. it will be worst through the years...

You need a Sash Clamp (you can find them on Amazon), some PVA glue, masking tape and some suitable packing pieces to protect the guitar (MDF is a good material for this).

1. Mask the edges of the split (because I don't know what effect the glue will have on the nitro finish)

2. Rub the PVA glue into the crack with your finger, making sure you get the glue as deep in the split as you can.

3. Place the packing pieces on either side of the guitars body and use the Sash Clamp to pull the split together, pull it as tight as you can without damaging the guitar. This is where having three hands would help!

4. Remove the masking tape (to make sure it doesn't stick to the guitar when the glue sets) and check to make sure there's no glue on the lacquer, if there is remove it with a damp cloth.

5. Leave the clamp in place as long as you can, ideally 24 hours but you need to keep an eye on your packing material to be sure it won't make the lacquer.

Good luck, I hope this helps.

Ian

You need a Sash Clamp (you can find them on Amazon), some PVA glue, masking tape and some suitable packing pieces to protect the guitar (MDF is a good material for this).

1. Mask the edges of the split (because I don't know what effect the glue will have on the nitro finish)

2. Rub the PVA glue into the crack with your finger, making sure you get the glue as deep in the split as you can.

3. Place the packing pieces on either side of the guitars body and use the Sash Clamp to pull the split together, pull it as tight as you can without damaging the guitar. This is where having three hands would help!

4. Remove the masking tape (to make sure it doesn't stick to the guitar when the glue sets) and check to make sure there's no glue on the lacquer, if there is remove it with a damp cloth.

5. Leave the clamp in place as long as you can, ideally 24 hours but you need to keep an eye on your packing material to be sure it won't make the lacquer.

Good luck, I hope this helps.

Ian

Tks Ian, I'll try it and I will keep you updated

[thumbup] [thumbup]

Just a thought before you start Maurotto, if the split is narrow, stable and showing no sign of any growing bigger, there is an alternative, you could get a Liberon Wax filler stick in the colour closest to your guitar and carefully rub some of that in (you may need to warm it between your finger to make it more pliable.

Regards,

Ian

Archived