Gibson Brands Forums

Saw The Sweetheart of the Rodeo Tour Last Night!

zombywoof

My first concert in 1965 was the Byrds. They ended with their then current hit single "Turn, Turn, Turn." Last night we went to see McGuinn, Hillman and the Sweetheart of the Rodeo 50th Anniversary Tour. They ended with the same song. Just a plain out amazing show. Tons of Byrds songs with the Sweetheart LP played in its entirety during the second set. McGuinn and Hillman have not lost a beat and sang and played their hearts out with Marty and his drummer (who has a great voice) helping out with the harmonies. Marty Stuart, for me, is one of those guys I greatly admire as a player but just do not care for the material. But last night he tore that playhouse down. He was all over the place and really seemed to be enjoying himself. He spent most of the night with his Clarence White Tele with the B-Bender (the guitar got a round of applause itself). He just nailed solos such as "Wasn't Born to Follow." But his mandolin playing (the only Gibson on the stage) on "Running Down a Dream" during the Tom Petty tribute portion of the show was just jaw dropping. Anyway, if the tour comes anywhere even remotely near you grab tickets. It is a once in a lifetime event.

Sounds like a great concert! I enjoyed much of the Byrds work back in the day, up through and including the Gram Parsons era. Haven't listened to "Wasn't Born to Follow" in ages - gotta hear it again!

I have seen pretty much every Byrds lineup from Gene Clark to Clarence White. Never saw them with Parsons though. I did see the Byrds at the Fillmore East in spring of 1968 but Parsons had already quit the band.

I was surprised they did not do "Going Back" last night.

One of my favourite albums ever...if that tour comes to the UK I’m in there like swimwear!!

It is not looking good for the Tour crossing the Big Pond this year. Any night Stuart is not with the Sweetheart Tour he is booking his own gigs. So tonight he and the Superlatives will be in Cincinnati which is about 3 1/2 hours from here. If you look at his website he is pretty much booked through December. That is one hard working musician. But maybe you guys will get to see a 51st Anniversary tour.

Nice, the country-ish Byrds are my favorite incarnation of the band.

I always had wished the official Clarence White and Hillman lineup had lasted longer. While I really liked Dr. Byrds and Mr. Hyde you cannot help but notice that for the first time McGuinn was handling all of the vocals because Hillman had left to join up with Gram Parsons in the Burrito Bros. One of the true pleasures of the Reunion show was the harmonies which were as fantastic as anything the Byrds had done with Gene Clark and Crosby in the lineup.

Archived