Gibson Brands Forums

Martin Retro strings

generaldreedle

I switched to them over the summer (from EJ-17s) and I do really like them, although on both my guitars -- a J-35 and a handbuilt D-18 clone -- it took a day or two for them to fully settle in. They've been on the guitars since early August and still sound really good. I play both daily.

Yes, JP Nickels are very good strings. I have used them on several mahogany and mahogany back&sides guitars. I only joined the Retro movement lately, and on my J-35 only. The Pearse strings remain some of my favorites.

I did an A/B comparison of Elixir HD Lights and the Martin Retro Monels about four months ago. I played various pieces with Elixir HD Lights on my Martin 00028vs and then played the same pieces on the same guitar with the Monels. The Monels feel different and there is a slight tone change. They DO last as long as the Elixirs, but my next string change on the Martin will be going back to the Elixirs because the Monels just feel thin under my fingers. I can't explain it other than that.

I've not tried the Monels on my SJ200 and don't think I want to. I need the beefier HD lights to drive the SJ.

The other thing to consider is that the Monels are significantly less expensive than the Elixirs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ycg1FwXeAWI&t=151s

I like them...

Also try D'Addario Nickel Bronze if you like Retros... I like them even more.

Anyone try John Pearse Nickels?

I got the D'addario on my HD28V, good sound, halfway between 80/20 and PB.

I must give the Martin Retro a try in medium light, from the tension specs it looks they are not as hard as the old Martin Bluegrass...I'd just be happy if Gibson was offering something similar in the 12/56 gauge, stock 80/20 are quite good but light is too light and medium is too hard for my hands.

I've got Martin Retros on two of my Gibsons. One is the Dove. Think the SJ is the other one. The Dove sounds great with them, but the Dove has always been the equaL of Gabrielle blowing his horn. Anyways, I like Martin strings a lot. I'll try various strings if they sound interesting, but primarily I use Martin SPs on everything.

Had Retros on my J-45 for 3 mos. and can't say they were bad but they seemed harder on the fretting fingers. I replaced them w/ D'addario EJ-16s and find the sound warmer and fuller-to my ears.Don't think I'll get Retros again.

I did an A/B comparison of Elixir HD Lights and the Martin Retro Monels about four months ago. I played various pieces with Elixir HD Lights on my Martin 00028vs and then played the same pieces on the same guitar with the Monels. The Monels feel different and there is a slight tone change. They DO last as long as the Elixirs, but my next string change on the Martin will be going back to the Elixirs because the Monels just feel thin under my fingers. I can't explain it other than that.

I've not tried the Monels on my SJ200 and don't think I want to. I need the beefier HD lights to drive the SJ.

The other thing to consider is that the Monels are significantly less expensive than the Elixirs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ycg1FwXeAWI&t=151s

That is quite a service to the members! To me, this is amazingly beneficial and makes me want to do that for every guitar, as, to my ears, the Retro strings are definite winners on your guitar. You play well! Scarborough Fair, awesome. The only song where I kinda wavered and wondered, hmmm, the Retros may not win on this one was Here Comes The Sun. Caveat... I have high frequency hearing loss.

That is quite a service to the members! To me, this is amazingly beneficial and makes me want to do that for every guitar, as, to my ears, the Retro strings are definite winners on your guitar. You play well! Scarborough Fair, awesome. The only song where I kinda wavered and wondered, hmmm, the Retros may not win on this one was Here Comes The Sun. Caveat... I have high frequency hearing loss.

Thanks, Bill! You are correct about HCTS and the Retros. Of course there are other things in play here as well. First, I play HCTS on my SJ200 always. Second, the Elixirs are HD's meaning they have a medium set on the top three strings and a light set on the bottom three. So when the capo is up the neck, the Elixirs are snappier due to the beefier upper three strings and the Retros are a bit more mellow. So, HCTS really benefits from the HD's on any guitar. The more I play my Martin 00028vs and my SJ200 back to back, the more I favour one or the other for specific songs. I start to almost dislike one guitar over the other when I start into a song the BELONGS on a specific guitar. Isn't that weird? It isn't even just the sound, it is the FEEL of the guitars as they are so different.

I don't think I'm interested in doing an A/B test with Retros and Elixirs on my SJ. I just don't think the Retros will sound good on the SJ and it isn't worth the effort in even trying.

Archived