Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson-compatible strap locks

Pinch

The screw for the front pin is shorter than the back one. The Schaller-style locks we have over here, both screws are the same length, meaning if I were to use one of them for the pin in the front (V), I'd go 1/3 of an inch too far into the wood, and likely hit the TR.

Essentielly, what I'm looking for is a set of strap locks called something like "Our Brand Strap locks - One screw shorter than the other, just like on your Gibson".

Links welcome. I could get a tech to file down the screw, but there HAS to be a ready-made set, doesn't it? It's not like Gibson is an obscure brand.

I strongly - menacingly, even, because I'm sick of this bs - suggest Gibson produce strap locks that fit Gibson guitars, seeing as they see fit to have different length screws. THANK YOU.

I just reuse the same screw that came with my SGs. all I did was replace the button for the strap lock pin. one is a 2006 classic, the other is a 2012 standard.

I put the locks on the day they got home.

With the stock screw, no issues at all,

The screw for the front pin is shorter than the back one. The Schaller-style locks we have over here, both screws are the same length, meaning if I were to use one of them for the pin in the front (V), I'd go 1/3 of an inch too far into the wood, and likely hit the TR.

Essentielly, what I'm looking for is a set of strap locks called something like "Our Brand Strap locks - One screw shorter than the other, just like on your Gibson".

Links welcome. I could get a tech to file down the screw, but there HAS to be a ready-made set, doesn't it? It's not like Gibson is an obscure brand.

I strongly - menacingly, even, because I'm sick of this bs - suggest Gibson produce strap locks that fit Gibson guitars, seeing as they see fit to have different length screws. THANK YOU.

The Schallers I got for my Tribute came w/ screws that worked perfect. However, the screws of the other set I got did not work out perfectly on my Strat. In this case, one of the screws seemed to be not quite large enough and thus would not securely nestle in - i.e. constantly requiring me to inspect and tighten. Eventually, I took the screw to the hardware store and got a proper replacement.

Speaking of strap locks, I came across this method that uses bottle top washers from the ceramic stoppers you find on bottles of Grolsch beer. I was not aware of it. Haven't tried it personally but may give it a go down the road...the instructions are written w/ a bass guitar in mind....https://www.talkingbass.net/grolsch-straplock-trick-for-bass/

Since GIBSON has started using the MUSHROOM TOP Strap Screws, I just decided to get straps that have locks built into them. 'LOCK-IT' Straps are the best one's I've found to date.

The mushroom tops are almost too large for this product, but by so little it still works fine (it's plastic so it won't hurt your knob, to quote one of my rejected Durex slogans) :

http://daddario.com/pwMobileProductDetail.Page?ActiveID=4115&productid=1126&productname=Dual_Lock&sid=c1346636-f5b9-44b7-844b-d76544953d9b

Exactly what I've been looking for.

• 2 weeks later...

I just purchased a set of the D'Addario Dual Locks. I think they are a great solution - they fit almost all buttons (so you don't have to modify the guitar or the strap) and straps and secure the guitar in a very solid way. For $4 you can't go wrong!

I also like the feature enabling me to secure the cord to one of them, taking stress off the jack itself.

Mike

Archived