Gibson Brands Forums

NGD Gibson AJ

MorrisrownSal

I went down to my haunt in Asbury Park - Russo's...

I actually went down to consign an amp and electric guitar. But while I was there, I played this 2013 used Gibson AJ. First time I really dug into one. And then I played the new one up on the wall. And then A-B'd the two of them for a bit. Additionally I put two new Martins through the paces as well: a reimagined D28, and a custom $5600 cocolobo D28 variation. This may be sacrilege to say, but where rosewood is involved, I’ll take a Gibson any day.

I ended up bringing home the 2013. It's a really cool guitar... loud and proud. And while it has her share of scratches, and the case is beat up to hell (this AJ was the backup guitar for a touring musician), it has a Trance Amulet installed, and it sounds fantastic plugged in as well as unplugged. A very nice way to kill a lonely rainy Saturday....

2PrCVczl.jpg

IMZVED5l.jpg

The pedals I recently sold, and the electric and amp... will cover this guitar and then some. And I'll try it at a gig tomorrow afternoon too.

I recorded this quick - and forgive the singing - its a Southern rock tune - and one that my gigging partner sings and not me. I just wanted to put the guitar into open G and let it ring a little.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Nv5d54RvUQ

Nice one Sal! My AJ is my only Gibson that I didn't buy new. Mostly because they are hard to find, I've never seen a new one for sale anywhere. Mine was scratched up and dented a little too. The cool thing about that is I am not afraid to scratch it up myself. Enjoy yours!

1538868614[/url]' post='1957020']

I just sold one like yours, they're great guitars. I would had kept it but I felt the Jumbo RI filled that slot.

Is this your first Gibson with rosewood?

Yes sir... I had my share of Rosewood Martins... this is my first Gibson....

Digging the sound for sure. I’ll try and pretend I’m Knopfler, but without the skill!

Beautiful sounding and looking AJ, Sal!

I’ve just arrived home from playing a gig with my maple AJ, which has fast become my main live guitar and one of my favourites of all the guitars I’ve owned over the years. Capable of wonderful sweetness yet can be brutally dynamic and powerful with the smallest change of right hand attack.

I owned a rosewood AJ for a couple of years back in 2011/12 but I don’t think I was a good enough player in those days to really extract the best from it. It was a great sounding thing but they do need the right touch to “tame” them a little. I have that now, but didn’t then. I’ll own another RW AJ someday.

Loved the video...open tuning really makes that beast sing!

Well it's about time you explored the AJ scene. There's just something about a bound-neck Gibson acoustic. Bet it would be fab with a capo. New strings on there, or is that just an AJ being an AJ?

Yes, it's different than a Martin rose'- it also has the long scale, but the slope shoulders push that sound out to avoid the mud. No zombie, but they can be monsters. Use it for good, not eville.

[EDIT]: Re: the demo- 'had to laugh at the "deep breath" at the beginning. Not the first take?

Yeah, that is a nice sounding AJ. Like Jinder mentioned, these guitars need to be tamed and played with the right touch. They are so loud and projective and if not handled the right way can come across as rather brash and rustic.

Im still on the edg of my AJ, if I had to it would be the first guitar to go from the stable as it does overlap with the SJ, but for now its sticking around.

One tip, the AJ's I found sound at their best with quite well played in strings, then that projection and beastieness of the guitar settles down a bit.

Id say long scale, rosewood but also the bracing for sure.

I think it's a combo of the rosewood and scale length. If I'm correct, the AJ has the same bracing as the J35, but the J35 is short scale and mahogany back and sides, and every one of them I've played have sounded too bright and thin to my ears, while my AJ is big and punchy, and although the AJ has rosewood back and sides it has a tighter low end than other rosewood dreads I've played/currently own. I think that combo of rosewood, scale length and the bracing just makes for a very loud, tight and punchy guitar that really projects.

Yeah, that is a nice sounding AJ. Like Jinder mentioned, these guitars need to be tamed and played with the right touch. They are so loud and projective and if not handled the right way can come across as rather brash and rustic.

Im still on the edg of my AJ, if I had to it would be the first guitar to go from the stable as it does overlap with the SJ, but for now its sticking around.

One tip, the AJ's I found sound at their best with quite well played in strings, then that projection and beastieness of the guitar settles down a bit.

EA, if you don’t mind me asking, how much did you pay for your AJ? Do I remember right that it’s an ex-Buddy Whittington guitar? Prices are all over the map here in the UK. I’m planning to buy another Rosewood AJ next year but have seen them for sale used at everything from £1200 to £3000!

Thanks all for weighing in... I wonder if "the fatness" in the tone is long scale? rosewood? Long saddle? all of the above?

Sal, my AJ is the fattest Maple guitar I’ve ever heard. Not in that warm, blooming way that an SJ200 is, but just great big stout notes that leave the guitar in a really forceful way. The long scale, bracing and round shoulders all combine in the sonic soup factory to produce a real delicacy. It can be pretty-VERY pretty-but also a total hooligan at a flick of the wrist.

I can’t stop playing mine, it has an unusually strong pull on me. It’s like owning a dog that’s boisterous and forever chasing after the neighbour’s cat, but, at the day’s end, lays his head in your lap and looks at you with the eyes of your best friend in the world.

Archived