Gibson Brands Forums

63 Dove at Norm's

BluesKing777

I had to avert my eyes. Ouch! So cheesy! Guess I don't get it. Turn it back to blond, add a teardrop tortoise guard or none at all and I'm all in.

The early sixties. 'Guess ya had to be there, you young whippersnapper!

You guys see that case? Wow.

Really intriguing guitar. Night Moves perhaps not the perfect song to demo it though...

A jamming partner has that case. 'Gets the buzz going before the guitar even comes out.

Yes, Night Moves might be a quintessential J-45 sound, and Mark might've been too amped up from enjoying himself while playing the Dove on More Than Words, as he was really laying into it a bit much for the Bob Seger song.

Would love to buy it and have the saddle replaced with a Bone lefty.

JC

With the double pickguards, which really balance off the inlaid bird and bridge, a lefty would be a natural option, whether the bracing was changed or not.

Would love to buy it and have the saddle replaced with a Bone lefty.

If it doesn’t sell right away ... I might have a chance.

Not a fan of the metallic ring but I can tell it has potential

Edit: Forget it ... It was sold yesterday

JC

There is a similar twin guard Dove F/s on Reverb.com.......

BluesKing777.

I love the tone of those TOM Doves. Really cutting and clangy, great rock’n’roll tone. Totally unlike any other acoustic tone...when you recalibrate your ears and appreciate it as an individual and unique thing and stop expecting it to sound like a “normal” acoustic, they’re a thing to behold.

As for the aesthetics, I dig the HELL out of it. Early ‘60s C&W cornball heaven!

Sensational set of candy - count me inside. Not that much bass and yup, one clearly hear the Tune-O-Matic timbre.

I actually find B. Seeger well suited for the last part of this test. A half step down and the soil below will begin to glow.

But wait a minute, ,, is this really a 11/16. .

I would have loved to hear some of the more intricate, calmer subtleties of the tone rather than digging into each style he chose with vigor 100% of the time.

In my experience with the tune-o-matic bridge Doves, they aren’t suited to the calmer, more intricate side of things...definitely a full-bore, brash and beautiful rock’n’roll instrument.

In my experience with the tune-o-matic bridge Doves, they aren’t suited to the calmer, more intricate side of things...definitely a full-bore, brash and beautiful rock’n’roll instrument.

These are pretty passive on electrics. Not so on acoustics.

Archived