Gibson Brands Forums

2015 Les Paul Junior - G Force Issue

sjarman

Hi all - I'm having a little problem with my guitar that I was hoping someone here might be able to help with.

I have a 2015 Les Paul Junior with G Force.

I haven’t played this guitar in a while, but I know I’ve changed the strings previously (so this must have worked at some point). Right now though, I can’t figure out how to de-tune/loosen off the strings to remove them (assuming you shouldn’t manually turn these motorised heads).

I’ve found a lot of videos online showing the process as being:

1) Press ON three times in a row.

2) Press ENTER twice in a row.

But that process does not work on my guitar. I’ve recorded a video here where you can see this:

http://www.stevejarman.com/temp/gibson.mp4

Do you guys know if maybe there were different G Force models with different procedures? I have noticed that a lot of the videos on YouTube of G Force show those words ("G Force") on the unit itself. Mine doesn't have that (see video), so I was thinking these units on the Les Paul Junior are an earlier model maybe?

I've contacted Gibson support and they recommended doing a factory reset. Unfortunately, the first step for a factory reset is "Press ON three times in a row", which - again - doesn't produce the expected result on my guitar. I told Gibson that, and then they stopped replying.

You have to 'old' version. It's called the Gibson Min-ETune. The G-Force is the newer version. The commands are different.

Here's how to stringup/down:

On

Back

Up (Hold)

Select White "E" (using left/right)

Enter

That will enter string up/down mode. The selected string will blink Red. Use Up or down (push down and hold, for example) to wind the string quickly.

This is outlined on page 13 of the 2.12 English Tronical Tuner manual. I have attached the .pdf of the manual to this reply.

I have followed these directions and it works every time.

After winding each string down (I do each string twice), I unlock the string lock nut using a small blade flat head. Put on new string then tighten the lock nut. After all the strings are installed I 'wind up' the strings using the same procedure. Then I tune the guitar normally. I stretch the strings, then tune again. And again. After that it's pretty solid.

Good luck!

*EDIT* Looks like I can't attach a 4.5mb file. PM me your email address and I'll send you the .pdf file to your email.

Thank you so much guys - I've found the correct manual now. Knowing exactly what to search for really helped :)

Now that I'm looking at it, I'm positive I went through this whole thing the last time I used this guitar - that's old man memory for you.

The "leaflet" that comes with the guitar is just a single page of "G Force" instructions - telling you how to select alternate tunings etc. This lead my down the path of putting "G Force" into all of my searches unfortunately.

Archived