Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Melody Maker Les Paul 2014 Celebration Model

christopher campbell1

I have a Melody Maker Les Paul 2014 Anniversary model. It is a 'low budget' guitar and being a Gibson I should not complain.

However, the matt 'TV' yellow finish is so delicate that even after very little use it is showing scuffing and wear marks on the body.

Is it just my guitar or are other owners experiencing this?

Chris.

No you are not the only one to see this.. Ive seen it reported many times on here and indeed they do have a very thin finish which is one of the things that make them cheaper... In saying that ive got a 60s tribute goldtop that has quite a thin finish too and its still good... I think it comes down to your playing style and obviously how much you play it..

It has also been said that for instance Rory Gallagher as he used to drink so much had acidic sweat which will effect your finish (not that im saying your a raging alcoholic or anything :) )

Which is why his guitar ended up looking something like this

YKcVE0y.jpg

No you are not the only one to see this.. Ive seen it reported many times on here and indeed they do have a very thin finish which is one of the things that make them cheaper... In saying that ive got a 60s tribute goldtop that has quite a thin finish too and its still good... I think it comes down to your playing style and obviously how much you play it..

It has also been said that for instance Rory Gallagher as he used to drink so much had acidic sweat which will effect your finish (not that im saying your a raging alcoholic or anything :) )

Which is why his guitar ended up looking something like this

YKcVE0y.jpg

Hi Rab.

Thanks for your reply.

My TV Yellow Melody Maker has hardly been out of its soft carry bag. Just handling the guitar can cause scuffs and marks.

I like the guitar, but surely the 'finish' standard is not what is expected from the Gibson stable.

Rory would have melted it after just a couple of gigs.

Chris.

Archived