• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Music stores north Chicagoland? Visiting soon

#1 User is offline   rbpicker 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • LocationSE Mich

Posted 09 October 2018 - 04:05 PM

ill be accompanying my wife at a conference in Zion, IL in early November. Ill have some time to kill while she is in conference, and Id like to do some guitar hunting. I will stop in the Chicago Music Exchange on our way out of town, but wondered if there are any shops in the northern area for me to visit. Zion is pretty far north of the city.
Thanks for any tips.
Roger
Pura Vida

#2 User is offline   QuestionMark 

• Advanced Member

Posted 09 October 2018 - 09:26 PM

The Music Gallery in Highland Park, IL on Greenbay Road is a very good local store in the north shore suburbs of Chicagoland.

Hope this helps.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

This post has been edited by QuestionMark: 09 October 2018 - 09:27 PM

#3 User is offline   Johnny3j 

• LocationDUB HAM ORD

Posted 10 October 2018 - 07:11 AM

Guitar Works in Evanston is worth checking out (1 hour south of Zion on your way to Chicago).
Right now they have a nice 1963 J50 for sale:

Posted Image

GuitarWorks Inc in Evanston IL

There's Midwest Buy & Sell on 6019 W. Irving Park Road in Chicago's north side, they usually have a good selection of older Gibson electrics and sometimes the odd Gibson acoustic:

Midwest Buy & Sell

Avenue N Guitars in Wicker Park, also on Chicago's north side is a cool store (say Hi to Tim!)

I've bought guitars at all these stores, always got good deals [thumbup] .

This post has been edited by Johnny3j: 10 October 2018 - 07:23 AM

56 Gibson LG1
04 Gibson ES137
06 Gibson LP Std
1905 Ditson
72 Guild D25
79 Guild F512
77 Gurian J-M
78 Yamaha FG375S
90 Vicente Sanchis Laud
92 Dobro 33H
96 Guild JF55
00 Fender Tele w/B-Bender
03 Taylor Big Baby (Scalloped board)
05 Washburn Uke
08 Martin Backpacker

Gone but not forgotten: '90 Les Paul Standard, '90 Gibson J200, '54 Gibson A40, '65 Fender Mustang, '93 Guild D25/12, '95 Guild JF30/12, '75 Guild F112, '98 Rickenbacker 360/12, '08 Martin HD35, '84 Marlen D10

Disclaimer: I work for Peterson Strobe Tuners

#4 User is offline   groovadelic 

Posted 10 October 2018 - 11:32 AM

View Postrbpicker, on 09 October 2018 - 04:05 PM, said:

ill be accompanying my wife at a conference in Zion, IL in early November. Ill have some time to kill while she is in conference, and Id like to do some guitar hunting. I will stop in the Chicago Music Exchange on our way out of town, but wondered if there are any shops in the northern area for me to visit. Zion is pretty far north of the city.
Thanks for any tips.
Roger

As mentioned, the Musicgallery is the only place up north that I can think of. A really cool store and I have not been there in the past 5 years, but from what I recall - lots of new Fender Custom Shop guitars and high end Gibsons. They did not much of an inventory for vintage instruments. They also had a really nice boutique amp selection - Victoria and Carr.

CME is the place to go for vintage guitars. It's pretty much the only place I go to these days.

Rock n Roll Vintage is another nice spot with a smaller selection of vintage guitars - they do have tons of pedals. It's close to CME so not anywhere near Zion.
1963 Gibson Everly Brothers
2008 Gibson Hummingbird TV VOS

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users