Gibson Brands Forums

Music stores north Chicagoland?

rbpicker

ill be accompanying my wife at a conference in Zion, IL in early November. I’ll have some time to kill while she is in conference, and I’d like to do some guitar hunting. I will stop in the Chicago Music Exchange on our way out of town, but wondered if there are any shops in the northern area for me to visit. Zion is pretty far north of the city.

Thanks for any tips.

Roger

Guitar Works in Evanston is worth checking out (1 hour south of Zion on your way to Chicago).

Right now they have a nice 1963 J50 for sale:

Gibson%201960%20J-50%20117052%20MB%20002_1%20(645x1280).jpg

GuitarWorks Inc in Evanston IL

There's Midwest Buy & Sell on 6019 W. Irving Park Road in Chicago's north side, they usually have a good selection of older Gibson electrics and sometimes the odd Gibson acoustic:

Midwest Buy & Sell

Avenue N Guitars in Wicker Park, also on Chicago's north side is a cool store (say Hi to Tim!)

I've bought guitars at all these stores, always got good deals [thumbup] .

ill be accompanying my wife at a conference in Zion, IL in early November. I’ll have some time to kill while she is in conference, and I’d like to do some guitar hunting. I will stop in the Chicago Music Exchange on our way out of town, but wondered if there are any shops in the northern area for me to visit. Zion is pretty far north of the city.

Thanks for any tips.

Roger

As mentioned, the Musicgallery is the only place up north that I can think of. A really cool store and I have not been there in the past 5 years, but from what I recall - lots of new Fender Custom Shop guitars and high end Gibsons. They did not much of an inventory for vintage instruments. They also had a really nice boutique amp selection - Victoria and Carr.

CME is the place to go for vintage guitars. It's pretty much the only place I go to these days.

Rock n Roll Vintage is another nice spot with a smaller selection of vintage guitars - they do have tons of pedals. It's close to CME so not anywhere near Zion.

Archived