Gibson Brands Forums

AJ Tuners

MorrisrownSal

Gents, I do have one pet peeve about the AJ I now have. The tuners are sticky and creaky. They are Grover open back tuners... I believe 15:1.

Would Grover STA Tites 18:1 be a direct fit? IF there is an easy and inexpensive swap, I’m game.

They should be a direct fit. The older 14:1 were not that great, the newer 18:1 are an improvement.

My AJ came with Waverly's, but I think they have slightly different measurements to be an easy fit. check if you have the old 14:1 tuners, than I would just go with the new 18:1 Grovers

I agree with others - just hit the tuners with some Triflow. That stuff is survival supply when you own guitars. While you always need to check before you buy, the Stat-tites should be a drop in replacement. I put a set on one of my Harmony Sovereigns. They are really nice tuners.

I took some nice 18:1 open gear Grover butterbeans off an SJ and replaced them with Waverly cream buttons.

You're welcome to them if you want them. Just PM me.

I think the AJ's look better with the butterbeans.

55A6B1E5-A86F-4007-82E5-E1F16D1F24C7_zpseqz5w9qr.jpg

I took some nice 18:1 open gear Grover butterbeans off an SJ and replaced them with Waverly cream buttons.

You're welcome to them if you want them. Just PM me.

I think the AJ's look better with the butterbeans.

55A6B1E5-A86F-4007-82E5-E1F16D1F24C7_zpseqz5w9qr.jpg

My AJ came with those tuners, they were quite good and I'm thinking about replacing those on my HD 28V as Waverlys are very expensive.

Gents, I do have one pet peeve about the AJ I now have. The tuners are sticky and creaky. They are Grover open back tuners... I believe 15:1.

Would Grover STA Tites 18:1 be a direct fit? IF there is an easy and inexpensive swap, I’m game.

The stock Grover open back Sta-Tites backs on my 2012 AJ absolutely SUCKED! I replaced them with a set of the 18:1 Sta-Tites and can attest they are a direct fit. No need to swap the original bushings and it's a super simple swap. My g-string tuner was getting harder and harder to turn, and the others were starting to crappy. Dare I say though, the originals are also 18:1 as well (I never counted the gears on the old tuners), but I've had the 18:1 Sta-Tites on a few Martin 15 series I used to own and they never felt as bas as the OEM Sta-Tites that came on my 2012 AJ. The originals that came on my AJ just don't seem to last. I have a buddy who is a pretty well-known singer/songwriter who has a couple custom Stonebridge custom guitars and he also had the Standard-tites on his guitars and mid tour he had one of the tuners totally crap out on him.

I still replaced mine with a new set of 18:1's. So far so good.

Archived