Gibson Brands Forums

Happy At Last...

Jim Wilson

So, a while back, I talked about putting a Fishman Infinity into my J45rosewood and, as you might recall, I wasn't happy with the results. Last week, while out in Arizona, I stopped by Acoustic Vibes, in Tempe, and had them install the K&K Pure Mini pickup. Oh, I know that you can do the installation yourself...but I try to be realistic about my ability...or lack of same. It's just cheaper to pay someone to do it right the first time.

At any rate, I couldn't be happier with the new pickup. I run it straight into my Fishman Loudbox Performer and it's the best sound I've gotten from an acoustic guitar. Very natural.

Thanks to Jender and several others of you who talked up the K&K.

So, a while back, I talked about putting a Fishman Infinity into my J45rosewood and, as you might recall, I wasn't happy with the results. Last week, while out in Arizona, I stopped by Acoustic Vibes, in Tempe, and had them install the K&K Pure Mini pickup. Oh, I know that you can do the installation yourself...but I try to be realistic about my ability...or lack of same. It's just cheaper to pay someone to do it right the first time.

At any rate, I couldn't be happier with the new pickup. I run it straight into my Fishman Loudbox Performer and it's the best sound I've gotten from an acoustic guitar. Very natural.

Thanks to Jender and several others of you who talked up the K&K.

A K&K Mini is such a great pickup, sounds great, doesn't affect the acoustic sound of the guitar, weighs practically nothing, is unobtrusive and very little to go wrong with it. I agree 100% with having a professional install it for you. It's really a nominal fee to do so. I've done my fair share of work on my own guitars including making new pickguards, making new nuts and saddles from blanks, doing my own set-ups, etc., but was hesitant to install a K&K myself given it's super glue, and if you mess up, it's a huge hassle to correct, plus the shop I have doing mine is installing it for free because I bought the pickup directly from them. For $99 installed you really cannot complain.

If you like the sound of the K&K going directly into the Loudbox, you may be pleasantly surprised if you first run it through a nice preamp. I used to have a J$%TV I had a K&K installed in, and would use a Radial PZ Pre and go into a Loudbox mini and it's sounded great. Eagerly awaiting to get the J45 Standard back from the shop, where I'm having a K&K installed into it as we speak.

Glad you’re happy, Jim!

I love K&K. Got ‘em in a couple of my guits. Plus Matrix Infinities, two Rare Earth Single Coils, a Gretsch Deltoluxe and a Sunrise.

All of them do their own thing, and very well too.

Yep, nothing wrong with the K & K Pure Mini. Lots of bang for the buck and an easy install if you want to do it yourself. Having a pro do the install is literally always best, but if I can install it then so can someone who is "all thumbs." Anyway, on Thursday evening I plugged mine into the sound system at the Kansas City Public Library for a "Dust Bowl Years" program (first time I used any kind of phantom power for it) and it can really crank-out the volume. Haven't used it with my LR Baggs Para yet, but I suspect it will be real good. In coffeehouses and wineries I typically just go with the passive mode (which is a strong signal for a passive pickup). Anyway, it's really a nice and very versatile pickup at a good price.

Archived