Gibson Brands Forums

LP Bridge Pickup

Mark Q

Hello all,

First time posting with an issue. I have a LP that is getting output from the neck pup in the neck position, both pups in the middle, yet in the bridge position, no output. I have replaced the old switch with a new Switchcraft switch and am still getting the same results. Does anyone have any advice on what to look for or has had a similar experience?

Thanks for any help!

• 3 weeks later...

If the switch is good then check the connections at the pots and while you are at it check to see if there is continuity through the bridge pup using a multimeter. If there is no current passing through the pup then it could be that the pup has a broken wire (happened to me on a neck pup).

• 2 weeks later...

If the switch is good then check the connections at the pots and while you are at it check to see if there is continuity through the bridge pup using a multimeter. If there is no current passing through the pup then it could be that the pup has a broken wire (happened to me on a neck pup).

Sorry; just re-read. Both pups work in the middle position so the pup wiring is not the issue pointing to a switch problem as you suspected. Weird that the problem persists with a new switch. Is it possible that your original switch wiring was wrong and you simply duplicated the same when installing the new switch? This is the only scenario that makes sense to me.

• 4 weeks later...

That is weird that they both work in the middle position usually when the paddles get bent in the switch, they will work individually, but one or the other (or both) cut out in the middle position. If you got the new switch from someone like StewMac they usually include a wiring diagram - rickc's suggestion that the wiring was wrong to begin with and you duplicated it with the new switch is the only thing that makes sense to me. Check wiring diagram (probably available on the net if you don't have one) to see if maybe that was it.

Is this a new guitar and has always been like this? Or did it work properly for awhile and then this started?

I am about to replace a switch in one of my LPs so let us know how it comes out.

• 3 months later...

I recently had the exact same issue with my LP custom. Turned out the loop ground wire that is soldered to the top of each pot had popped off the bridge pickup volume control pot. I soldered it back on and it worked perfectly again. Easy fix.

Hello all,

First time posting with an issue. I have a LP that is getting output from the neck pup in the neck position, both pups in the middle, yet in the bridge position, no output. I have replaced the old switch with a new Switchcraft switch and am still getting the same results. Does anyone have any advice on what to look for or has had a similar experience?

Thanks for any help!

Archived