Gibson Brands Forums

Was the Les Paul BB3 ever run with ebony fretboard?

instantcoffee

I bought this BB3 used from GC.

The serial suggests it's a 2017 from QuingDaoChina, but it's got some idiosyncrasies from normal BB3s.

1. the fretboard is definitely ebony and I can't find any record of BB3 being run with ebony fretboards, the advertising is all rosewood.

Fl3ILrB.jpg

M4hwqaC.jpg

Two, the Grover tuning heads are not the normal D shape, and the screws come loose when de-tuning. This could easily be an aftermarket mod.

kOiNznf.jpg

Three, the serial number is stamped into it like a Gibson instead of printed on it like I see on most modern Epi's. Sorry I don't have pictures of that off hand right now.

I am not a botanist and I've never played one on TV but,,, I think yer right.. that is NOT rosewood.

I agree w/you, that looks like ebony or some sort of "alternate".

And.. the back of the headstock would be a good pic to post..

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, cool, I'll go on assuming it's legit. The Alnico Classic pickups are really blowing my expectations from Epiphone Humbuckers out of the water.

The Alnico Classic and Alnico Classic Plus pickups from 2014 onward are very underrated. Their reputation is tarnished by the earlier versions often referred to as mudbuckers.

I've got an Epiphone 2014 Les Paul Standard and the pickups are sweet, fat sounding with not a hint of mud.

Archived