Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson 61 pickups in SG

juliang

I have a 2018 SG standard which has these 61 pickups, identified by R and T , clear which is which. The SG standard 2019 has abandoned these pickups, However...... The SG standard 61 has what are called 61 Burstbucker pickups. Does anyone know if these are the same and it's just marketing or if they are a different pickup?

They are the same ones that were in the 2018 ‘SG’ STANDARD. IDK why GIBSON USA decided to do away with the ‘57 classic’s on that Bad-Boy but it is one reason why I bought the 2019 ‘SG’ STANDARD w/MAESTRO VIBROLA as a limited run from an On-Line retailer.....it has the ‘57 Classic’s out of the factory. No locking Grover’s like my 2017 ‘SG’ STANDARD and I don’t get that either but I did learn a good while ago that tryin’ to figure out anything GIBSON does is a Fool’s Errand .

They are the same ones that were in the 2018 ‘SG’ STANDARD. IDK why GIBSON USA decided to do away with the ‘57 classic’s on that Bad-Boy but it is one reason why I bought the 2019 ‘SG’ STANDARD w/MAESTRO VIBROLA as a limited run from an On-Line retailer.....it has the ‘57 Classic’s out of the factory. No locking Grover’s like my 2017 ‘SG’ STANDARD and I don’t get that either but I did learn a good while ago that tryin’ to figure out anything GIBSON does is a Fool’s Errand .

How did the replacement SG turn out for you? Better I hope.

I have a 2018 SG standard which has these 61 pickups, identified by R and T , clear which is which. The SG standard 2019 has abandoned these pickups, However...... The SG standard 61 has what are called 61 Burstbucker pickups. Does anyone know if these are the same and it's just marketing or if they are a different pickup?

Gibson hasn't abandoned those pickups. Throughout most of this decade, Gibson seems to be rotating every third year through their 490R/490T, 61R/61T and 57 Classic pickups in the Gibson SG Standard guitars. When I bought my SG Standard, I auditioned the 2018 (61 pups) and 2017 (57 Classics) side by side and landed on the 2017 standard model. Everybody has different tastes, which is why maybe Gibson doesn't keep the same pickups from year to year.

• 2 weeks later...

I think my 91 has the 490/498 combo or whatever came in them that year, and two others have 57’s.

What’s the difference in the 61’s?

It's subjective but to me they sounded a little harsh. When well overdriven they respond well but lack a little warmth for my taste.

Archived