Gibson Brands Forums

Poor Man's Guitar Stand

fortyearspickn

Texas Music Scene - is a 30 minute show on TV in mostly Southwest markets on Saturday night. The format is having host (Ray Benson or Pat Green) introduce segments for 3 artists who talk a bit about their music and their process, and then run a clip of them performing. Last night, host Pat Green opened as they usually do at "The Gibson Showroom" in Austin,Texas to introduce the evening's artists. Seated on a stool, Gibsons adorning the walls behind him - mostly acoustics. he was holding a beautiful cherry burst H'bird. As he was finishing his spiel - he stood and gently place the guitar down on the floor. Holding the headstock, with the endpin on the ground - while he continued talking he leaned the guitar to one side and balanced it on the lower bout and the endpin. Let go and left it standing there! Standing upright but with a 15 degree list to starboard!!

As if that wasn't enough. At the close of the show, after the acts were done - it cut back to him in the Showroom. He had three other Gibson Acoustics standing balanced on the floor - one was a J45 ... all leaning slightly to the right. An amazing, but scary sight.

Anyone here ever tried this? I won't even lean my guitars up against a speaker or the wall. Pat Green, by the way - has been a professional artist for over 25 years and I believe plays mostly Gibsons. So, he's no slouch.

I've done it before to see what would happen. Yeah, it stands, but it's not something I'd do with people around.

Years ago in St. Paul, I knew a chap by the thoroughly Minnesota name of Ivar Vikingstad who fancied himself a tinkerer. He played a shallow-bowl Ovation. One day, he bent a metal rod and attached it to the guitar with a hinge near the neck. It was a fold-out stand. When he was done playing, he'd fold out the rod and the guitar stood up by itself. I told him he should market it to Ovation, but he never did.

I've done it before to see what would happen. Yeah, it stands, but it's not something I'd do with people around.

Years ago in St. Paul, I knew a chap by the thoroughly Minnesota name of Ivar Vikingstad who fancied himself a tinkerer. He played a shallow-bowl Ovation. One day, he bent a metal rod and attached it to the guitar with a hinge near the neck. It was a fold-out stand. When he was done playing, he'd fold out the rod and the guitar stood up by itself. I told him he should market it to Ovation, but he never did.

I’d end up impaling myself on it during a moment of lapsed concentration!!

I’ve never done the leaning thing. I’ve propped a few guitars up in the corner of rooms before, but the idea of leaning it like that and leaving it to twist in the wind just screams “HEADSTOCK BREAK!!” To me...

Archived