Gibson Brands Forums

Gig-worn Gibsons - Chris Thomas King

northcntryblues

Some of the guitars I have scored over the years that were in the worse shape were those which had just been stashed away in closets or attics for decades.

Headstock breaks from falls do obviously happen. Here is what my mid-1960s Silvertone 633 looked like when I snagged it. Today it is all fixed up and a perfect player.

L1010956.jpg

Here is another one of my Harmonys which I have owned since the mid-1960s. No breaks but it shows the miles I put on it. I put a pickguard on it to try and hide some of the damage.

Sovereign-2.jpg

Interesting blog entry about the wear and tear a life on the road brings to the guitars of one of my absolute favorite artists, Chris Thomas King. Those road guitars take a beating, especially those Gibsons!

http://www.christhomasking.com/ctk-blog/

Tell me about it...I’ve had three headstock breaks and countless bumps and bruises along the way. Baggage handlers don’t give a toss about instruments and I’ve seen some shocking things happen to guitars (mine and other people’s!) when watching plane holds being loaded from the jetway. CTK is lucky that he can fly with his guitars in the cabin, I’ve never come across that in 21yrs on the road-at least not without buying them a seat!

The one time I took a guitar on a plane, I was flying from NYC to Oklahoma City, The guitar in question was an ES-335. I had a window seat and was watching them load the luggage into the cargo hold. I see my guitar and one of the baggage handlers put it on the side as they loaded all the luggage. My first thought was: "I'm not letting this plane leave without my guitar!" After everything was loaded, they sent my guitar in last. I guess I was lucky and had some conscientious workers.

Jinder, or other who are touring and traveling a lot with instruments, do you have your guitars covered by some speciality Insurance?

Lars

I’m insured to travel overseas with any one of my guitars up to the value of £2750 (I never fly with more than one when touring solo) by Allianz. They also provide my Public Liability cover and the guitar is covered for accidental or malicious damage and theft. I pay around £7 a month for the combined instrument and PLI cover, i’m sure I could get it cheaper elsewhere, but Allianz are great, all three times I’ve had a headstock break they’ve paid out for replacement instruments and allowed me to keep the damaged guitars.

I use Heritage Insurance which insures me for both travel and shipping.

I may have confused myself but it seems my insurance used to be called that but changed its name. My current company is called Clarion. I am in the USA. I have all of my music equipment, including guitars on this policy.

Archived