Gibson Brands Forums

Just Another LG3 Sunrise

BluesKing777

Sounds terrific! I just love the chiming top end, stinging mids and big low end of the Sunrise. Such a great pickup. What do you feel the buffer box adds? I read so much chatter about it online but have yet to try one out in person. Is it more about gain staging or impedance matching?

Beautiful sound, isn’t it?

The preamp buffer box adds.....hmmm, magic? Fullness? Life? Smooth? One thing for sure, there is no going back once you try it! More good news is that it also works great for other passive pickups, like my Fishman Neo-D humbucker and my Baggs M80 set to ‘passive’ mode.

Note that I have heavily eq’d the sound with the Fishy Pro EQ - cut bass, cut mids, cut treble, cut ‘brilliant’ knob and added the ‘smooth’ compression. No reverb.

BluesKing777.

I like that sound, but it's nothing like an LG-3. If I didn't know better, I would have said that sound was coming from an electric jazz archtop like an L-5. It definitely does not sound like a BK thing, especially when you combine it with the "thingy" music style of the instrumental.

Don't get me wrong: I like it, but it doesn't sound like the Blues King. Are you going to turn into a Lounge Lizard on us? Back away from the signal processor, BK.

Somebody make me a martini.

Beautiful sound, isn’t it?

The preamp buffer box adds.....hmmm, magic? Fullness? Life? Smooth? One thing for sure, there is no going back once you try it! More good news is that it also works great for other passive pickups, like my Fishman Neo-D humbucker and my Baggs M80 set to ‘passive’ mode.

Note that I have heavily eq’d the sound with the Fishy Pro EQ - cut bass, cut mids, cut treble, cut ‘brilliant’ knob and added the ‘smooth’ compression. No reverb.

BluesKing777.

Sounds really good! Very impressive. I think you’re on to something good with the music you are playing with it. Very Doyle Dykes-like and Tommy Emmanuel-like. I like to play in a similar instrumental vein.

Disregard that lounge lizard comment elsewhere. It’s called playing fine solo acoustic instrumental guitar and a lot of people out there seem to really like it, thus the popularity of Tommy Emmanuel who is by no means a lounge lizard.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

I was liking the lounge lizard image, picturing BK in a nice polyester suit...

On the sunrise- I do like the sound of it, but do feel it doesn’t sound totally acoustic.

On instrumentals - I love a good one, allows the music alone to generate whatever feelings they do. But I love quirky songs as well.

I was liking the lounge lizard image, picturing BK in a nice polyester suit...

On the sunrise- I do like the sound of it, but do feel it doesn’t sound totally acoustic.

On instrumentals - I love a good one, allows the music alone to generate whatever feelings they do. But I love quirky songs as well.

For me, something I really like about the Sunrise is it DOESN’T sound totally acoustic. For live performance, in my experience the whole “sounds like your guitar, but louder” approach is great for a seated, ticketed theatre gig where if an audience member gets chatty they’ll also get admonished by a fellow listener, but for anything other than that, I prefer something with a little more attitude. The Sunrise sounds bigger than something super transparent like an Amulet (also a wonderful pickup), has more midrange chop and cut and really gets heard in a room. It also has astonishingly good separation from vocal frequencies which makes it a cinch to mix for a gig.

It also fires off effects incredibly well. I like to loop things and use all manner of effects to create swirling soundscape-y gubbins, and the Sunrise is almost entirely feedback proof. With some crunch, my AJ wanders into something approaching Les Paul territory...drop it through a pitch shifter and it sounds like a P Bass.

BK, I need the buffer box in my life methinks!

I have a polyester powder blue lounge suit from when I played in an R&B band and I use to look pretty good, I thought. Ba Da dah dah duh (horn lines). [thumbup]

So I dragged it out and it still fits in some places. [mellow]

Kidding! [flapper] Black T shirt and jeans boy here. (doesn't show the perspiration as bad on stage). Though I wore a nice charcoal Boss suit when I worked in an office in the city for about 7 years.... But since working at home most of this century, I'm afraid to say the work uniform is...baggy track pants and black T shirt with slippers, moccasins or flips depending on the weather.

There was no 'signal processing' in the recording at all, some eq...this is what the Sunrise pickup sounds like in this guitar. A friend and I have both been experimenting with various acoustic guitar pickups and I have spent an absolute mint (everything here is at least double the price), to arrive at the conclusion that people that say 'this pickup sounds exactly like my acoustic guitar when I plug it in' are just plain lying! I can say it has not been invented yet, or I would have it. [flapper]

So while I love the Sunrise sound, as a 'plug and play' for the blues jam/open mic, it is a bit of a flop because you need the preamp and some EQ - 2 boxes. The Baggs M80 has a preamp in it, so is 'plug and play' but I like EQ on it or wouldn't use it - more boxes. I couldn't get either the Baggs M80 or my Sunrise to feedback in my amp!

I have pickups with mics in them and they are great plugged in to my mixer, but as soon as they are plugged in my amp...screeeeeech. (I played live with just my Dobro and a mic for years and that is absolutely hopeless for many reasons).

These are great for guitars that I don't want to alter - just chuck it in the soundhole...

But plug and play is truly the home of Maton guitars! Sound great.

No, I have bought the Sunrise and I'm loving it and sticking to it. It has heaps of feel for all kinds of playing and has been used by all the big acoustic guitar players for years.

And Jinder, the buffer boxes are in really low supply (hand made) and the only one for sale on the planet that I can see is a stereo unit at Elderly:

https://www.elderly.com/catalogsearch/result/?cat=0&q=sunrise

(Shoreline sometimes has them)

https://shorelinemusic.com/collections/sunrise-pickups

BluesKing777.

Archived