Gibson Brands Forums

New Gibson Addict here

Hello everyone! I really don't NEED another guitar, but I have an itch to add another Les Paul to the arsenal here.

I've never been happy with Epiphone's versions, but I'm poor so I'm considering one. Has Epiphone's quality improved much in the last few years? Or should I just save up and get the "real thing" in a Gibson? I just like how white the Matt Heafy Snøfall is, but I'm not into the EMG pickups. Just look at this thing!

post-96118-039586300 1539702679_thumb.jpg

Since this is "high end" Epiphone, do you think it'll be of superior quality compared to the "regular" Les Pauls costing half as much?

Hello everyone! I really don't NEED another guitar, but I have an itch to add another Les Paul to the arsenal here.

I've never been happy with Epiphone's versions, but I'm poor so I'm considering one. Has Epiphone's quality improved much in the last few years? Or should I just save up and get the "real thing" in a Gibson? I just like how white the Matt Heafy Snøfall is, but I'm not into the EMG pickups. Just look at this thing!

post-96118-039586300 1539702679_thumb.jpg

Since this is "high end" Epiphone, do you think it'll be of superior quality compared to the "regular" Les Pauls costing half as much?

Hello and welcome to the forum. msp_thumbup.gif You will fit right in as many here "Don't Need Another Guitar But Look And Get Another One Anyway!" I didn't think I would ever like Epiphone's for a long time but I have 2 and really love them. As for quality, I cant complain, they hold up, play nice and stay in tune. One is a Standard and the other a Custom Pro Limited Edition. There are many guys here that love and own Epiphone's. We even have an Epiphone Lounge as well as Gibson Lounge. Personally, I love the Gibson name better on my guitars but I see nothing wrong with the Epiphone line either.

...I've never been happy with Epiphone's versions, but I'm poor so I'm considering one. Has Epiphone's quality improved much in the last few years?

Welcome to the boards, 339. I'd say Epiphone's quality has been darn good for many years. Maybe the pickups aren't as good as Gibson's, but I'm not exactly a connoisseur, and they certainly work fine for me. Epi's are surely less expensive than Gibbies, but you might look into an LP Studio model for a reasonable compromise. My Epiphone LP Standard certainly has excellent finish quality....

lpp390.jpg

Hello and welcome to the forum. msp_thumbup.gif You will fit right in as many here "Don't Need Another Guitar But Look And Get Another One Anyway!" I didn't think I would ever like Epiphone's for a long time but I have 2 and really love them. As for quality, I cant complain, they hold up, play nice and stay in tune. One is a Standard and the other a Custom Pro Limited Edition. There are many guys here that love and own Epiphone's. We even have an Epiphone Lounge as well as Gibson Lounge. Personally, I love the Gibson name better on my guitars but I see nothing wrong with the Epiphone line either.

I've had pretty bad luck with Epiphone in the past. The last was a WildKat, and it was inexcusable. I see some of the more expensive Epiphones come with Gibson pickups - I wonder if they sound better (in an Epiphone) than the "alnico classic" Epiphone branded ones that irritated my ears.

Welcome to the boards, 339. I'd say Epiphone's quality has been darn good for many years. Maybe the pickups aren't as good as Gibson's, but I'm not exactly a connoisseur, and they certainly work fine for me. Epi's are surely less expensive than Gibbies, but you might look into an LP Studio model for a reasonable compromise. My Epiphone LP Standard certainly has excellent finish quality....

lpp390.jpg

Thanks for the welcome, cheers. Yours looks great and it'll look that way for a very long time with that poly finish, which is my second favorite, next to nitrocellulose. I just can't get over the chopped ears on the headstocks, but there is a huge difference in cost. How does a $900 Epiphone LP compare to a $600 Gibson LPJ or Special or whatever? Are you getting your money's worth either way?

I've got my eyes on this Prophecy Epiphone LP, it's got a Gibson 490R in the neck position and a Gibson 498T in the bridge position, but I'd want to factor in the cost of swapping to black hardware: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ENCHMEGH--epiphone-prophecy-les-paul-custom-gx-plus-midnight-ebony

post-96118-004760800 1539734222_thumb.jpg

I've had pretty bad luck with Epiphone in the past.

I need to mention that I've had REALLY GOOD luck with their ACOUSTICS! I almost forgot about that. I had a Hummingbird Pro and Dave Navarro "JANE" and they were both excellent. They were very, very good.

The Gibson on my radar is the re-released B.F.G. with dual humbuckers. I kicked myself for missing the first run, but I like this layout better with "regular" controls and dual humbucks. Seems like a lot of Les Paul for a thousand bucks: http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2018/USA/2018-BFG-Humbuckers.aspx

Doesn't say what kind of pickups though, just "Open Coil Humbucker" don't even know if they're ceramic or alnico or what.

I've had pretty bad luck with Epiphone in the past. The last was a WildKat, and it was inexcusable. I see some of the more expensive Epiphones come with Gibson pickups - I wonder if they sound better (in an Epiphone) than the "alnico classic" Epiphone branded ones that irritated my ears.

Thanks for the welcome, cheers. Yours looks great and it'll look that way for a very long time with that poly finish, which is my second favorite, next to nitrocellulose. I just can't get over the chopped ears on the headstocks, but there is a huge difference in cost. How does a $900 Epiphone LP compare to a $600 Gibson LPJ or Special or whatever? Are you getting your money's worth either way?

I've got my eyes on this Prophecy Epiphone LP, it's got a Gibson 490R in the neck position and a Gibson 498T in the bridge position, but I'd want to factor in the cost of swapping to black hardware: https://www.sweetwat...-midnight-ebony

post-96118-004760800 1539734222_thumb.jpg

Good luck and happy hunting in whatever you decide. As for the alnico"s in my expensive Gibson Gold Top standard, and the Probuckers in my $8 to 9 hundred dollar Epiphone Custom Pro Limited Edition it's no guess work at all. The Epiphone clearly sounds better then the Gibson. But its all about what you fall in love with and have to have. Here, we tell folks to go out and play as many as you can and also because one model might sound bad doesn't mean another one of the same make will be as bad. Try them all. If you find one that trips your trigger then try it on different amps too.

Archived