Gibson Brands Forums

1966 ES-330 MINT & 1960 SKYLARK GA-5T

Busker

Hello Everybody,

I am new to the Forum, may add this post in the "Introduction" section, too. In any case, I am mainly an acoustic guy with a nice stable of Guild & Gibson & a few other acoustics, including a 1946 LG-2 in awesome condition. My main gigging guitar is a '93 Westerly Guild JF-30 (Blonde).

While I am not, by any means, an electric player, I have, for years, sought to add a '60s Gibson electric to my collection. After some thought, I decided upon an ES-330. While I recognize the ES-335 is much more versatile and, hence, much more collectible, my budget and the style of music I play make the 330 the much better choice. I have spent many, many hours looking online, mostly just dreaming as opposed to with any immediate intent to purchase.

Recently, however, I saw that Willie's- a truly stellar and a nationally well-regarded shop- was offering what they described as a "Mint" 1966 ES-330TD. I decided that I would never find a better 330 and never from a better shop, so, I should either buy this one or quit looking. Given the number of guitars / guitar cases in my home, I knew I could slip another one in without my wife noticing, haha. I decided, though, the guilt would be too much so I told her about the guitar and she, for the zillionth time, confirmed that I married the right woman when she told me she thought I should make the purchase! I hopped in my car, drove over to Willie's and, after playing this beauty for 10 minutes or so, did the deal. One of the employees told me that, in his many years at this awesome shop, he'd only ever seen 3 guitars classified as "MINT". I now own one of them! Oh, and I was born in 1966 so the whole thing seemed meant to be!

This transaction occurred about a month ago and I am truly one happy dude. I am an Americana-ish singer-songwriter and, for 35 years, have played only acoustic. I am learning the joys of electric and having so much fun!

One final thing. One of the reasons I chose a 330 is because, as a full hollowbody, I knew it would sound alright with no amp. After a couple of weeks, however, my desire to really see what my new friend could do led me back to Willie's. I spent a bit more money that I don't really have and came home with a super cool 1960 Gibson Skylark GA-5T. Together, this guitar and this amp have already provided me hours and hours of good times. I think, truly, I found the perfect little rig for myself. I know the limitations of a 330, as well as of the 5W Skylark. At the same time, I am not a lead player in a band, nor will I ever be. While I may- may- occasionally gig with this set up, for what I do mic-ing the Skylark should work just fine.

Thanks for indulging me. I am just so excited and so enamored with these new toys that I had to share with like-minded folks. I've included a couple pictures below, the ads that first caught my eye (though, the 330 is marked as "SOLD" 'cause they left it up after I made the purchase 'cause it's such a cool piece!).

Happy Playing, Everybody!

Busker

post-96119-001441700 1539786287_thumb.jpg

post-96119-094044400 1539786309_thumb.jpg

That is a stunning little pkg. When you gig do you play solo? What kind of music do you play? I gave up on electric guitar playing after so many years of flat picking country blues and old rock covers that I don't think I can make anything good come out of an electric guitar. Lord knows I've tried.

Hey, Busker! What a get!!! I saw that guitar on Willie's site and am glad that I can see it again! I have the same guitar; same year but, in comparatively rough condition. That 330 is the love of my life(don't tell my wife)! You are a very lucky guitarist! I hope that it brings you as much joy as mine has! Peace!

Hey Busker! Very nice-looking guitar and amp. Willie's has always had some fine instruments.

Out of curiosity, does a store like that "deal" on the asking price?...or do you just pony-up the full asking price? Just curious if there is a 10-15% discount, or is the price non-negotiable?

I guess in the case of mint...the sky is the limit..LOL

Hi Jedzep,

I usually play solo acoustic shows, though will often be joined by a violin and, sometimes, a percussion player and sometimes a second guitar. At my last show, each of those folks showed up and we were an unrehearsed but pretty solid quartet.

I play mostly my own music, which is lyric-based, melodic, singer=songwriter-type stuff. I'll also throw in random covers by musicians I love, like Dylan, Prine, Todd Snider, Gram Parsons, etc.

I'm not sure where the 330 will fit into any of what I do. It may never leave my house, haha. But, man, it sure is fun to hold and to play and I'm learning little licks and it all sounds super cool thru that little Skylark.

Thanks for reading my post. As I wrote, I'm so excited- so geeked out, haha- about these two pieces and how they work together that I wanted to share with folks who would know what I'm talking about!

Take care,

Busker

Hey RetroRod,

Regarding your question, I think it probably depends on a number of variables, e.g. the buyer, the instrument, the relationship, etc.

I will say, however, that I feel very confident making purchases from Willie's as their reputation, both here in the Cities and beyond, is excellent. In other words, when buying at Willie's, regardless of the final price, I feel like I can trust the purchase.

Take care,

Busker

• 1 month later...

I'm a little late seeing this post but wanted to add a reply as I have a similar set up. I have the identical amp, a 1960 GA-5T that I love playing my '47 ES-125 through. Tone that just takes me to another place!

I recently purchased a Gibsonette GA-8T, also a 1960 that I don't even have my hands on yet but have great expectations for! I will give you an update once I get it, just after Christmas.

Play on!

post-243-035486700 1542630967_thumb.jpg

post-243-025339900 1542631182_thumb.jpg

Archived