Gibson Brands Forums

Custom slope Martin on UMGf

MorrisrownSal

Cool- Martin made a J-45 Tuxedo. The bound soundhole fits the look to a T. But, you do you ever play the little game where you try to guess the scale length of the guitar by the photo?

And, Sal; what are you doing looking on the buy and sell pages? Just looking, right? R I g h t .

I’m not a fan of the Gibsonesque Martins. Sort of a “looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a squirrel” situation to my eyes and ears!

For some reason, Martin seem terminally incapable of capturing that magical sonic “X factor” that makes a Gibson a Gibson.

I agree about the CEO4, I tried two and both sounded like they were sort of embarrassed to exist.

I know the Hummingbird and J60 were Gibson’s take on the D18 and D28 and don’t do a particularly authentic impression, but both are great guitars in their own right. If we’re talking Montana, those off-repertoire Martins are more Hannah than Bozeman.

I'm not a fan of the Gibsonesque Martins. Sort of a "looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a squirrel" situation to my eyes and ears!

For some reason, Martin seem terminally incapable of capturing that magical sonic "X factor" that makes a Gibson a Gibson.

I agree about the CEO4, I tried two and both sounded like they were sort of embarrassed to exist.

I know the Hummingbird and J60 were Gibson's take on the D18 and D28 and don't do a particularly authentic impression, but both are great guitars in their own right. If we're talking Montana, those off-repertoire Martins are more Hannah than Bozeman.

hahaha I think I am with you. Martin does Martin. And only a Gibson does Gibson.

Curious is all!

A good guitar is a good guitar - no matter who builds it. When it comes to Martins though the ones that have stuck in my mind to the point where I could not shake it loose were the mid-1940s D-18s. I am of the opinion the difference is the un-scalloped, slight taper bracing Marin used in that short window between late 1944 and early 1947. Also one of the nicer neck carves.

Archived