Gibson Brands Forums

String Selection

Mark Simpkin

Have you reservations about your D'Addarios? I think they are great strings.

I do experiment with strings though. The 'usual' strings I use are EB Regular Slinky. I dont find any difference between them and D'Addarios, I just prefer EB packaging.

I am presently using Elixir Polywebs on 2 guitars. They are coated and last longer. They are a godsend if you suffer from 'rusty fingers'. I have used them for a couple of years and may use them on more guitars in future. Some players hear a timbre difference with them. I dont.

I tried EB Paradigms earlier this year and liked them a lot. EB say they are 'treated for unparalleled repellency of oils, sweat and gunk & debris build-up.' They are also supposed to be more break & fatigue resistant. I didn't continue with them only because they are expensive. If they lasted longer (and they do last a little longer) I would use them as standard.

Depends on what direction you want to go with the tone/sound of the guitar. Flat wounds give a different rounder tone usually. I use Elixir Nanoweb 10-46s on both my Les Paul and my 356. They really do last about 3 times longer than most other strings - but they are quite "bright" sounding especially when brand new.

Archived