Gibson Brands Forums

Firebird friday! (update)

FemmeParallell

Hello y'all!

This is an updated:

recently got a '98 firebird, it had an issue with the bridge pickup having low volume and i was afraid it might be the pick up...

So i got the volume pot changed and voila! its now workingeusa_dance.gif i must say i am in love with this guitar, loving the stock pick ups tone, im glad i didnt have to spend money on a new one!

i also changed the knobs, it came with black top hat style knobs and changed them to gold top hat, to get a more vintage look msp_thumbup.gif

Pictures of before and after (hope the pictures DO post hehe):

https://imgur.com/a/F6bfXn4

https://imgur.com/a/ryenBOX

one more pic (wasnt letting me add it in previous post)

https://imgur.com/a/FTqb4GB

WOW, that FIREBIRD looks PERFECT !!Congrats, in the original post, it says the POT fix is NOT working, but you seem happy about it. TYPO ?

The pics are on IMGUR, and I'm glad I didn't have to join just to take a look at the 'Bird....

WOW, that FIREBIRD looks PERFECT !!Congrats, in the original post, it says the POT fix is NOT working, but you seem happy about it. TYPO ?

The pics are on IMGUR, and I'm glad I didn't have to join just to take a look at the 'Bird....

Thank you! msp_love.gifHAHHA and thanks for the observation, i edited the post like 4 times and i didnt see that typo haha

Are you ever planning on taking the clear plastic off of the pick guard?

That's the first thing I do.

Nice looking guitar, the gold looks good on it, too.

i didnt even notice that. yea, thats gotta go. Beautiful Firebird ! enjoy. I love 'em.

Wow - would never have thought to put gold knobs on a guitar that; a) wasn't gold finish, or B) didn't have gold hardware.

I was wrong!

Will do this with my Firebird this weekend!

thanks....

i know, im also very picky with the gold stuff hehe, dont forget to show us a pic of the makeover!

Absolutely beautiful, looks perfect...

Eqbt7Aq.jpg

*** FemmeParallell it sounded like you were having trouble posting a live photo. I use imgur as well, if you don't want this image posted let me know and I will take it down...

thank you! no, dont take it down, that's what i wanted to do but i dont know how to post it live (other than with imgur), im not used to this type of forum format

thank you! no, dont take it down, that's what i wanted to do but i dont know how to post it live (other than with imgur), im not used to this type of forum format

to post a photo your text string has to have a ".jpg" at the end ... using the "Insert Image" button picture.png in the post editor..

like this one of yours.... https://i.imgur.com/Eqbt7Aq.jpg ......

Looks exactly like Firebird V with Steinberger's.. Great Guitar!

Am happy for you. I too have a firebird in sunburst finish. It was the first new guitar purchase I had ever made a back in 2017. Mine has the stienberger tuners I guess that is how you spell it and not the banjo tuners. I have never taken it out of the house and although I play it from time to time, it spends most of its life in the case. Just trying to keep it pristine. Congratulations!

Am happy for you. I too have a firebird in sunburst finish. It was the first new guitar purchase I had ever made a back in 2017. Mine has the stienberger tuners I guess that is how you spell it and not the banjo tuners. I have never taken it out of the house and although I play it from time to time, it spends most of its life in the case. Just trying to keep it pristine. Congratulations!

Is that the one on your profile picture? I got mine last year and was also considering getting a 2017 with those tuners, i read that they are lighter than the banjo tuners (mine has the banjo ones) but ti never played the new ones, one of the improvements is that supposedly with the new ones the headstock didnt dive, is that true?

Play it more often, but also take care of it hehe

Yes that is the one in the profile picture. I have played a couple with the banjo tuners I really never saw a problem with diving. I have a suede back strap so I really have not paid much attention to even see if it dives. I will give you an update on that soon. Mine weighes 7.2 pounds too and it is lighter than some of my other guitars. It is so comfortable to play although I seem to get better overall action on it with 10 gauge strings. I prefer 9 but for some reason my firebird takes the 10 gauge better with less fret buzz. But since the headstock is opposite to a normal guitar or reverse with the low e being the longest string the overall feel when bending strings and all are very similar to a 9 gauge on mine.

Is that the one on your profile picture? I got mine last year and was also considering getting a 2017 with those tuners, i read that they are lighter than the banjo tuners (mine has the banjo ones) but ti never played the new ones, one of the improvements is that supposedly with the new ones the headstock didnt dive, is that true?

Play it more often, but also take care of it hehe

Also the new style tuners are nice and easy to tune with but they are a bit different when stringing it up. Just takes a little getting used to but nothing like I have ever had in the past and are very expensive if need to ever be replaced..

Yes that is the one in the profile picture. I have played a couple with the banjo tuners I really never saw a problem with diving. I have a suede back strap so I really have not paid much attention to even see if it dives. I will give you an update on that soon. Mine weighes 7.2 pounds too and it is lighter than some of my other guitars. It is so comfortable to play although I seem to get better overall action on it with 10 gauge strings. I prefer 9 but for some reason my firebird takes the 10 gauge better with less fret buzz. But since the headstock is opposite to a normal guitar or reverse with the low e being the longest string the overall feel when bending strings and all are very similar to a 9 gauge on mine.

Gonna try using a leather strap because mine does dive.That's weird about the buzzing on yours, but im glad you got that a little bit more under control with the 10 gauge strings, I have 9s on mine and most of my guitars, except one LP that has 10 or 11s and i really liked them, but i can only play that one when my tendinitis isnt bugging hehe

thank you @01GT eibach msp_thumbup.gif

Archived