Gibson Brands Forums

Firebird friday! (update)

FemmeParallell

Yeah it is a buzzing one alright but not so bad plugged in. Although I am going to take it all down sometime this winter and get after those frets with a file and all. I have just been putting it off. To answer your question about the neck dive thing, yes it will do it in my lap but you know that is when I take my grip off of it with my right arm or picking hand. Also while playing it sitting down the way you hold it is kind of more comfortable than a regular guitar. So I do not understand why people complain about the dive thing. Alot of guitars will do that. Also the strap with a suede backing on it will take care of any diving while playing standing up.

I must say though that the firebird I own has never left the house. I do not take it anywhere or over to friends house, studio, or anything like that. It is kind of special to me and I am planning on keeping it as pristine as I can. Well I guess I try to take care of all of them them same way sort of. I always empty my pockets of car keys or whatever before I sit down and play a guitar. I also try to not wear button up shirts or sleeves with buttons either when I play a guitar. It helps with the small nicks and pings you know and when I am finished, I generally will wipe them down and they go back into the case. I am ok with the relic thing as long as it is just natural play wear. However I have made marks on them over the years but nothing major at all. When I had to dress up for gigs in the past, I would keep a bandana or dishtowel in the guitar case and place it over my belt buckle before I put the guitar on. That really helps keep the buckle rash at a minimum.

Gonna try using a leather strap because mine does dive.That's weird about the buzzing on yours, but im glad you got that a little bit more under control with the 10 gauge strings, I have 9s on mine and most of my guitars, except one LP that has 10 or 11s and i really liked them, but i can only play that one when my tendinitis isnt bugging hehe

thank you @01GT eibach msp_thumbup.gif

Yeah it is a buzzing one alright but not so bad plugged in. Although I am going to take it all down sometime this winter and get after those frets with a file and all. I have just been putting it off. To answer your question about the neck dive thing, yes it will do it in my lap but you know that is when I take my grip off of it with my right arm or picking hand. Also while playing it sitting down the way you hold it is kind of more comfortable than a regular guitar. So I do not understand why people complain about the dive thing. Alot of guitars will do that. Also the strap with a suede backing on it will take care of any diving while playing standing up.

I must say though that the firebird I own has never left the house. I do not take it anywhere or over to friends house, studio, or anything like that. It is kind of special to me and I am planning on keeping it as pristine as I can. Well I guess I try to take care of all of them them same way sort of. I always empty my pockets of car keys or whatever before I sit down and play a guitar. I also try to not wear button up shirts or sleeves with buttons either when I play a guitar. It helps with the small nicks and pings you know and when I am finished, I generally will wipe them down and they go back into the case. I am ok with the relic thing as long as it is just natural play wear. However I have made marks on them over the years but nothing major at all. When I had to dress up for gigs in the past, I would keep a bandana or dishtowel in the guitar case and place it over my belt buckle before I put the guitar on. That really helps keep the buckle rash at a minimum.

yep! im like that me too! when i go to GC i have to take my cellphone outta my right pocket to play and im always scared im gonna lose it hehe.. i only play them at my house and i try to be very careful when moving around, i have an old strat (my first strat) that the headstock took a lotta smashes when i was younger and didnt care much haha, but you know starts are very resistant

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks.

I stared at photos of it on eBay for a few hours and then just couldn't take it any more.

I played a 2014 at a Guitar Center and just hated it, the thing was awful.

Gibson really botched the 2014s, no nibs, how that company has fallen, etc.

This one shows up and it's my favorite guitar, it plays so easily it's almost like cheating.

Go figure.

3D9qfR2.jpg

Thank you, the things you find on eBay when you're drinking coffee on a Sunday morning while you're trying to wake up.

The best part about this particular guitar is how slippery the fret board is and how low the frets are.

I would love to know what the previous owner did to this one, it sure isn't lemon oil.

I'm going to try and track him down and if I get an answer I'll report back.

White with Richlite for only $5500.

I guess that answers my question if getting rid of Henry J. would let them use ebony again.

Mine has the Lucille script, I can't remember what year it is but I think 2002 or 2003.

This photo shows discoloration at the bottom but it's not there on the actual guitar so who knows.

LjXLuI9.jpg

Thanks.

I stared at photos of it on eBay for a few hours and then just couldn't take it any more.

This one shows up and it's my favorite guitar, it plays so easily it's almost like cheating.

Go figure.

3D9qfR2.jpg

WAOOOW !

Beautiful Firebird, What do you think about the tuners ? Awesome guitar [love]

Thanks.

Go figure.

3D9qfR2.jpg

What year is yours? I have a 2015 FB V and absolutely love it! It looks, plays, and sounds superb. Yours looks like a 2014, so I wondering, considering your comments about a 2014.

DSF15VSCH1_MAIN_HERO_01.jpg

Yes, that's a 2014.

The point I was making is that it's more the individual guitar than the year of manufacture.

The 2014 I played at Guitar Center was horrible, this one is just great.

I think I mentioned I had a 2013 which was equally good (and it had the nibs). I told the buyer to let me know if he ever wanted to sell it as I'd buy it back but guess he liked it and disappeared so that's how I ended up with this 2014.

If I remember correctly, 2015 just saw the nibs reappear and no other changes aside from a massive price hike, 2016 saw the gig bag and the retail price dropped by a thousand bucks to $1099.

You might find a good deal on a guitar in Nashville but not at any store. Check Nashville Craigslist. There are a few on there at the moment. Good luck.

Seeing Richard Thompson in about an hour. Nashville rocks.

I was almost there on the 11k Tele.

He played by himself on a National Resonator and then electric with a band. He played Blue Sky for Dickey and then later Dreams.

WOW, "Just one more morning....", must have been GR8T ! "Climb down off the hilltop....." , gives me chills just thinkin about it !

Archived