Gibson Brands Forums

looking to purchase new amp w/cabinet

SG Joe

i once hooked mine up to a 4x12 pulled the boost knob and turned it to 11. it came very close to keeping up with our drummer, who uses logs for sticks. with a human drummer in a small room, i think it woulda done ok. tht said, you get no cleans st those volumes. the sweet spot seems to be between 9-12.

I agree, the VHT has more bang for the buck, assuming they are of similar quality. They are both tube. Either way, I'd be getting the head and running it through another cab. I do like the idea of the Marshall, because it's a Marshall. I'm a sucker for stuff like that. But, as we said, the VHT does offer more features.

A Marshall is a Marshal but at this size I would go for the one with the best sound the price isn't that critical in this range. Also at this wattage I wouldn't run more that a single 12" unless you want to see smoke coming out your amp. I would need to play them, if I could find either one in a music store here.

My Roland's are 2w transistor and probably don't sound as good but primarily their intended use is for playing without power.

PmPpMj6.jpg

In my experience Bang for Buck means nothing if it doesn't have the Sound & doesn't check all the Boxes. Usually means I'll be buying something else when I realize I should've got what I really wanted in the first place.. Took me a long time to learn that...

A speaker with "low" output will put out on average 90db at 1 watt

A efficient speaker will put out 102db at 1 watt.

Plenty loud for others in the house to say turn it down

Well, I'm not a gigging musician. I don't need to play over a drummer. But, is a 1 watt marshall loud enough to play along with a song or backing track??

So that's a "yes", 1 watt will be plenty for playing along with stuff at home, at a volume you'd typically use to jam with loud rock music?

Yes......as an example, my music room has a door on it and then a 20foot hallway with another door leading to the living room.

With both doors close, If I crank it all the way, it's quite loud in the music room, and my wife in the living room either has to crank the television, or comes and tells me to turn it down.

I don't think it would keep up with a drummer very well in a rehearsal setting unless they had a very light touch.

I'm told the 5 watt version will keep up in rehearsals, still gets down to bedroom levels, and I know a couple guys who tote them around as back up so they can run them through a 4x12 and mic it if their main gig amp goes down.

Another alternative I've got is a Laney Cub 12R combo (also available in a head). Sounds good and gets pretty quiet.

Most of these can be had pretty cheap and in all honesty, I'm quite impressed with the sounds out of them for the price. Some other good ones have been mentioned here as well.

Good Luck!!!

NHTom

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'm still leaning toward the Marshall, but I don't think I'd go wrong with either.

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but hopefully this has been helpful for the OP as well.

Can't go wrong with the marshalls for sure.

NHTom

Sorry for taking so long to get back here.

Have ordered and received the following: Marshall DSL1HR 1 watt Tube Head and Marshall MX112R 80 watt 1 x 12 Extension Cabinet

These fit nicely into my room and they look great and sound even better

Thanks to everyone who took some time to help me figure this purchase out

I have pics but can't figure how to add them here ?????

Joe

Sorry for taking so long to get back here.

Have ordered and received the following: Marshall DSL1HR 1 watt Tube Head and Marshall MX112R 80 watt 1 x 12 Extension Cabinet

These fit nicely into my room and they look great and sound even better

Thanks to everyone who took some time to help me figure this purchase out

I have pics but can't figure how to add them here ?????

Joe

Create an account on a hosting site like IMGUR. Upload images. Open the image on your Imgur account. Copy the link on the right for posting to message board, then paste into your post. msp_thumbup.gif

The same question appeared on another Forum. I'm posting my response here...

I have several Amps different sizes & Price Points. Fender, Vox & Marshall.

I'm currently liking smaller Amps for many reasons. One is great Tone & Breakup at less than ear shattering volumes. Next to my PRRI I bought a Vox AC10C1, which was great right out of the box, which new is in the $400 range. The great thing is it's an inexpensive all Tube Vox Amp that sounds really good out of the box.

Even though it doesn't need it if & when you have extra $$$$ & want to do some modding it can quickly & easily be upgraded to get just about whatever Sound you want....

I'm not great at modding Gear, & usually don't, but this one is so basic & simple to work on I gave it a try after watching a few YouTubes & what they had done to upgrade from Very Good to Great!

Also, it's Lighweight, has a small foot print which is great for small Stages, doesn't take up a lot of room in the Trunk of my Car & is easy to travel with... Even more so than my PRRI....

I upgraded the stock Celestion Spkr. To a 30 Watt Celestion 10" Greenback Spkr. & the Sound was greatly improved. These Amps only have 4 Tubes which is great! 2 EL84's & 2 12AX7's. Unlike Fenders 6, 7, 8 or more... I replaced the Chinese Tubes with Matched Tung Sol's. The Sound was day & Night better as well.. The Tubes & Speaker cost about $150.00. But as I mentioned you don't need to do it or you can do it when you get extra $$$$.

Weber makes a Special 10" Alnico Blue Spkr for these Amps that I'm curious to try as I like the Alnico Blues in my other Vox Amp.. I may do that later...

It's so easy to change Speakers & Tubes in these little Vox AC10C1 Amps. You can do either Mod in about a half hour or less with simple tools..

Lars

• 2 weeks later...

You have already received a lot of suggestions, but if you still have not found a suitable bedroom amplifier, I can recommend Blackstar Fly-3 I heard this video and i was totally sold! I had to buy one and it was awesome! Incredibly good sound for its size and even worked with headphones :)

Listen here

• 1 month later...

I live in a third floor condo. I use two 40 watt Blackstars in one room and a 20 watt Blackstar along with a 36 watt HK Tubemeister in the living room. I keep them off the floor and they are all master volume. No complaints three years in .

New to this forum and not sure if this the right thread to post in - if this needs to be moved please let me know -

Recently bought a Gibson SG Std 61 and would like to replace amp combo I have now, which I have never cared for anyways, it is a Fender Mustang 1 V.2

No gigging, strictly home use, room size I play in is slightly less than 10 x 10

Been doing lots of looking on line and the "Marshall DSL1HR @1watt w/Marshall MX112R cab. w/Clestion 70/80 speaker looks interesting, low power that sounds GOOD is a must and that setup get good reviews

Would absolutely appreciate any helpful info from forum members that have much more experience than myself

Thanks

Joe

For that Guitar, get a MARSHALL, a real one....try the MARSHALL Mini Silver Jubilee 2525C,you will be glad you did !!! ITSSA li'l BEAST of a COMBO AMP, MADE IN THE U.K. and it will DEFINITELY NOT disappoint you ! its NOT a CHEAP-A$ AMP like that dreadful Mustang POS you would be better off without.......and for $1500 you can get a FENDER REVERB/PRINCETON/HOT-ROD (YAWN YAWN) and some change back from your $1200, BUT...IF IF IF You are looking for a KO, 1ST CLASS ACT, with enough PUNCH to hang with the Big Boys, something that you can carry with you (if you do not have a Roadie yet) and is, IMO, the best AMP series MARSHALL has issued in 25 years, check those BAD-BOYS OUT !!! The MARSHALL R.I. SILVER JUBILEE Series is available as a COMBO (that I bought w/ZERO REGRETS) and a HEAD w/Matching Cabinet (also BAD-A$) & I believe they are both 20/5 WATTS and they are EXPENSIVE AMPS, but worth every dime ....

I stopped playin around with FENDER, VOX and ORANGE and got on-board with some U.K. made MARSHALL's and I'm really glad I did !

BRO,Its Christmas time, be good to yourself......That GIBSON 'SG' STANDARD deserves it too ! You will NOT be disappointed.

Archived