Gibson Brands Forums

looking to purchase new amp w/cabinet

SG Joe

New to this forum and not sure if this the right thread to post in - if this needs to be moved please let me know -

Recently bought a Gibson SG Std 61 and would like to replace amp combo I have now, which I have never cared for anyways, it is a Fender Mustang 1 V.2

No gigging, strictly home use, room size I play in is slightly less than 10 x 10

Been doing lots of looking on line and the "Marshall DSL1HR @1watt w/Marshall MX112R cab. w/Clestion 70/80 speaker looks interesting, low power that sounds GOOD is a must and that setup get good reviews

Would absolutely appreciate any helpful info from forum members that have much more experience than myself

Thanks

Joe

For apartment use, I would either go digital (Amplitube 4) if you play a lot or with a 5-watt valve combo amp (e.g. Fender 57 Custom Champ or Laney L5T112 Lionheart)—or preferably both. Alternatively, you could also grab one of those excellent preowned Gibson Goldtone valve amps off the secondary market, but be warned that the 15-watt versions, such as the GA-15RV, are already too loud for apartment use if you intend to drive them properly (you can run them at 1/4 volume max, otherwise your neighbors won't be that friendly to you anymore).

6Y9sV0N.jpg

I picked up a very affordable amp recently for bedroom practice. This: https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=115&cp_id=11501&cs_id=1150102&p_id=611815&seq=1&format=2

It has been a great practice amp so far and there is actually a sale going on right now with code (BFNOW) to get 20% off! All tube, reverb, FX loop, 1 or 15 watt, & Celestion speaker. It takes pedals very well and sounds very good on its own. Can't beat this amp for the price.

10x10 room..

If you're in a apartment, condo, townhouse I can tell you 15w is way too much without attenuation of some type.

You'd be surprised how loud a 1 watt tube amp is .

For non-gigging amp in a 10x10 room you'd probably be better off with a Yamaha THR10.

And it has headphones out for late nights

In going through the online reviews, There aren't that many that are very good, but this guy goes through the full range of tones on both channels including low power mode. then at around the 8 minute mark or so he hits a boost pedal of some sort. Seems to get pretty good tone, although he really is focused on metal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNJUlx5jTWc

All good suggestions so far! I like the Fender Pro Jr. (All tube, 15 watts, 1x10) works great with pedals and my Les Paul Special with P90s. It may be too loud for your small room. I use it at home with no issues.

That should work good for what you want/need. You'd be surprised at a 1 watt. I was when I first tried one out. I wouldn't rule out something like a Fender Blues or Pro Junior, Marshall DSL40C(you can also find the older JCM 2000 combos at a great price, too), Marshall Origin combo, or something of that nature, too.

10x10 room..

If you're in a apartment, condo, townhouse I can tell you 15w is way too much without attenuation of some type.

You'd be surprised how loud a 1 watt tube amp is .

For non-gigging amp in a 10x10 room you'd probably be better off with a Yamaha THR10.

And it has headphones out for late nights

For real! I remember trying a 1 watt Marshall combo at one of my local music stores a few years ago and I asked the owner, "How many watts is this thing?" thinking it was some kind of new 10 or 15 watt tube Marshall combo and he said, "1 watt." and I was speechless and amazed.

That should work good for what you want/need. You'd be surprised at a 1 watt. I was when I first tried one out. I wouldn't rule out something like a Fender Blues or Pro Junior, Marshall DSL40C(you can also find the older JCM 2000 combos at a great price, too), Marshall Origin combo, or something of that nature, too.

Have you seen Billy Crawford's Pro Jr. #2 that we made for him live yet? That sucker's LOUD!

Pro Jr #2 Video Here

I like my Roland Micro Cubes, they have a nice selection of modeled amps and effects. Also they will run for about 20 hrs on 6 AA's, when not using the AC adaptor. I like to sit by the ocean and play to dolphins and whales, they seem to respond to metal.. Also jamming with the drum circles that form here can be very interesting, they get kind of excited when I play raga style. With some outdoor venues I needed more volume so I started adding more patching together with Y adaptors. I am up to 6 now and run clean with external pedals... Once in a while when power is available I add in my F Deluxe, the 12" Celestion adds a whole lot of bottom that you just can't get with smaller speakers.. I haven't turned on my Half stack for a while..

One of the best all around Amps you can have in your Tool box is a RI 65 Princeton Reverb. Home, Studio & Gigging. If it's a big Gig stick a Mic in front of it. I have a pretty wide variety of Guitars & all sound great through that Amp..

Small Footprint, Light Weight & all the Bells & Whistles you need in a great Tube Amp.. Also, not crazy stupid money either...

Lars

you can spend a bunch of money of you want to, but if you'd like great sound on a budget, get a vht special 6 (not the ultra) head, and a decent 1x12 cab. i have had one for years sitting on a fuchs cab with a 12 british celestion. sounds awesome, didn't cost much. all tube, point to point. to get better sound than what i am getting from mine, you'd have to spend 3x more. the choice is yours. spend fat money unneccessarily, or be smart, and get the best bang for your buck.

you can spend a bunch of money of you want to, but if you'd like great sound on a budget, get a vht special 6 (not the ultra) head, and a decent 1x12 cab. i have had one for years sitting on a fuchs cab with a 12 british celestion. sounds awesome, didn't cost much. all tube, point to point. to get better sound than what i am getting from mine, you'd have to spend 3x more. the choice is yours. spend fat money unneccessarily, or be smart, and get the best bang for your buck.

I tried one of those VHT amps in a shop, it's the only one that I've seen (they don't seem to be very common in the U.K) I thought it sounded great and it wasn't very much money. I wish I'd bought it!

Ian

From what I'm seeing a VHT 6, which is MIC & a 10" or 12" Celestion Speaker Cab is very close in price to a USA 65 RI Fender Princeton. Which is an excellent all around great sounding Amp.

Many times you end up on quests where you go thru buying all kinds of Gear, spending all kinds of money, wasting a lot of time only to end up with what you should have bought in the first place...

Many times you end up on quests where you go thru buying all kinds of Gear, spending all kinds of money, wasting a lot of time only to end up with what you should have bought in the first place...

That's me, for sure. Reminds me a little of the saying: "A poor man's gotta buy the best, 'cause he can't afford to buy it twice"

This happens to me every time I start looking for a new amp. I settle on something then I read a post here and end up changing directions completely. I was all ready to get the DSL1HR, now I'm interested in the VHT Special 6. But, I think I like the Ultra.

Comparing the DSL and the VHT, it looks to me like the VHT Ultra may have more bang for the bucks when you consider its tube powered, hand built with a birch enclosure and a 12" Celestion. To get the equivalent, head and 12" enclosure, in the DSL it could be a couple hundred more I think.

Comparing the DSL and the VHT, it looks to me like the VHT may have more bang for the bucks when you consider its tube powered, hand built with a birch enclosure and a 12" Celestion. To get the equivalent, head and 12" enclosure, in the DSL it could be a couple hundred more I think.

I agree, the VHT has more bang for the buck, assuming they are of similar quality. They are both tube. Either way, I'd be getting the head and running it through another cab. I do like the idea of the Marshall, because it's a Marshall. I'm a sucker for stuff like that. But, as we said, the VHT does offer more features.

Archived