Gibson Brands Forums

J-45 and friend

AngelDeVille

How do you find the Fender? I bought one of the 3/4 size Sonoran models for my stepson for his 10th birthday (he’s a great player for his age, although worryingly he spends most of his time figuring out how to play my songs...only a matter of time before he’s teaching me how to play them!!) and I was really pleasantly surprised by it. Really funky, biting tone and a nice neck.

I’ve found some of the Dreads I’ve played a little tight sounding, but then again I’m sure with a gauge heavier than the stock strings and some time on the road they would loosen up nicely.

When I was touring with Billy Bragg, we got to Austria to find that Air Canada had destroyed his J45 on the flight so we went guitar shopping. Auditioned a ton of sub-£1000 guitars and found the best was an all-Mahogany Fender with the Fishman Presys pickup. Really sounded sweet and gelled well with his playing. Picked it up with a case for a ridiculous deal (the store owner was a fan and came to the gig!) and he used it for the rest of the Austria/Italy/Croatia leg of the tour.

How do you find the Fender? I bought one of the 3/4 size Sonoran models for my stepson for his 10th birthday (he’s a great player for his age, although worryingly he spends most of his time figuring out how to play my songs...only a matter of time before he’s teaching me how to play them!!) and I was really pleasantly surprised by it. Really funky, biting tone and a nice neck.

I’ve found some of the Dreads I’ve played a little tight sounding, but then again I’m sure with a gauge heavier than the stock strings and some time on the road they would loosen up nicely.

When I was touring with Billy Bragg, we got to Austria to find that Air Canada had destroyed his J45 on the flight so we went guitar shopping. Auditioned a ton of sub-£1000 guitars and found the best was an all-Mahogany Fender with the Fishman Presys pickup. Really sounded sweet and gelled well with his playing. Picked it up with a case for a ridiculous deal (the store owner was a fan and came to the gig!) and he used it for the rest of the Austria/Italy/Croatia leg of the tour.

The Fender acoustics get bashed less than Gibson QC and headstocks, but not by much!

I really like the sound of the guitar, but I'm not super impressed by the pickup controls, I would much prefer just a piezo direct to the jack, I can turn amp knobs pretty well by myself.

I do wish the headstock was reversed, but I have always loved these since I saw Buck was sporting one...

It has a different sound from my j45, but by no means is it cheap sounding.

20181019-210237-2.jpg

Strings won't wear if not played ! Jeans don't get faded with holes in them just hanging in the closet. Boots don't get broken in if you don't wear 'em.

Put that J45 on the couch where it will DARE you to walk by without picking it up !

I am not exaggerating when I say the strings are over 10 years old.... and they had gotten a good bit of play time on them .

I do leave it out from time to time, but I still don't play her enough.

I think you can buy jeans with holes already in them, but I think they are more expensive that way...

Archived