Gibson Brands Forums

New Management

JuanCarlosVejar

So, the Chinese don't have to steal our technology anymore - we give it to them.

Wonder if Henry had a hand in this ?

Henry had no knowledge of this. J.T. sent the material to Gibson Montana with the best of intentions and the guy that received the info is pictured in the front row at the left in the photo. This man was put in charge of the Chinese acoustic program and in order to make himself successful he took the material to China where he hoped to make a line of acoustics to rival Montana. I won't mention the guys name as he is the type to make a lot of trouble but he failed in his plan and I doubt that anyone knows where the material is now.

Just so everyone knows... J.T. was done wrong by the people that are still in charge in Montana and he is much to much of a gentleman to let it cloud his love for the products. Hats off to J.T. for his efforts.

The only good thing coming out of this is that we won't have to spell Henry's last name anymore.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Henry had no knowledge of this. J.T. sent the material to Gibson Montana with the best of intentions and the guy that received the info is pictured in the front row at the left in the photo. This man was put in charge of the Chinese acoustic program and in order to make himself successful he took the material to China where he hoped to make a line of acoustics to rival Montana. I won't mention the guys name as he is the type to make a lot of trouble but he failed in his plan and I doubt that anyone knows where the material is now.

Just so everyone knows... J.T. was done wrong by the people that are still in charge in Montana and he is much to much of a gentleman to let it cloud his love for the products. Hats off to J.T. for his efforts.

The only good thing coming out of this is that we won't have to spell Henry's last name anymore.

Curious times, indeed, my friend. I loaned guitars with no request for compensation (just a contribution to a women's history non-profit, which didn't happen), sent X-rays that made their way to a failed Gibson project in China, and then the Gibson VP for Global PR threatened to sue me. I laughed and urged her to do so. Alas, she resigned before filing the lawsuit.

Here's to optimism for Gibson's future! The company that has built my favorite guitars on the planet. It can do so again. ...

In the meantime, another company is funding the world tour of my 1943, Kalamazoo Gal-made, went-to-WWII, Banner SJ. It will visit sites important to women's and WWII history, including the Rosie the Riveter Museum, Pearl Harbor, Seneca Falls, the WWII History Museum, the beaches of Normandy, Hiroshima & Nagasaki, and many more locations. John Sebastian played and talked about the guitar last weekend, in the very spot where the cover photo for Dylan's 1965 album, Bringing It All Back Home, was taken. The eventual result will be a documentary film, with all profits going to, yep, a women's history non-profit. Stay, uh, tuned.

Curious times, indeed, my friend. I loaned guitars with no request for compensation (just a contribution to a women's history non-profit, which didn't happen), sent X-rays that made their way to a failed Gibson project in China, and then the Gibson VP for Global PR threatened to sue me. I laughed and urged her to do so. Alas, she resigned before filing the lawsuit.

Here's to optimism for Gibson's future! The company that has built my favorite guitars on the planet. It can do so again. ...

In the meantime, another company is funding the world tour of my 1943, Kalamazoo Gal-made, went-to-WWII, Banner SJ. It will visit sites important to women's and WWII history, including the Rosie the Riveter Museum, Pearl Harbor, Seneca Falls, the WWII History Museum, the beaches of Normandy, Hiroshima & Nagasaki, and many more locations. John Sebastian played and talked about the guitar last weekend, in the very spot where the cover photo for Dylan's 1965 album, Bringing It All Back Home, was taken. The eventual result will be a documentary film, with all profits going to, yep, a women's history non-profit. Stay, uh, tuned.

Thanks for all your efforts, jt. At this moment in time we have much to look forward to and little to bemoan.I, too think that there is a whole lot inherent in the Gibson story that reflects the lives of a lot of us.Imperfect, but trying to maintain the spirit of America in all it's imperfections.Keep the faith!

John Sebastian playing the went-to-WWII guitar:

44927112_10212353428084135_8865810456070062080_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_ht=scontent.fbed1-2.fna&oh=bf6b3fb2f21a32752230003a0f7a0fbd&oe=5C3CA319

John and yours truly with Banner Gibsons. Yep, I've got two 1943 Southerner Jumbos (as they were originally named):

44830455_10212343647159618_1946583511892754432_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent.fbed1-1.fna&oh=849ecac5a753538bfd13527eeb201c2e&oe=5C865B4D

JT, what's that SJ John Sebastian is holding? It looks like it has the wide binding on the top, like the near-perfect one you had at one point. Is it one of the mythical "JT" model SJ's that Gibson was going to produce, or is it that original?

JT, what's that SJ John Sebastian is holding? It looks like it has the wide binding on the top, like the near-perfect one you had at one point. Is it one of the mythical "JT" model SJ's that Gibson was going to produce, or is it that original?

Nick,

Yep, that's the rare FON 2735 batch of SJs. The only batch with that wide purfling. And, yeah, that's my guitar, the SJ that George Gruhn declared to be the finest example of a Banner SJ extant.

The woman in charge of Montana custom orders when Gibson briefly agreed to producing reissues of my collection (you and I know who she is, a wonderful luthier), arranged for the production of replicas of that purfling. Alas, Gibson bailed (but produced 50 semi-accurate copies of the guitar), and terminated the arrangement with the purfling producer.

Never fear, though! A company that I cannot presently name is stepping into the breach!

Nick,

Yep, that's the rare FON 2735 batch of SJs. The only batch with that wide purfling. And, yeah, that's my guitar, the SJ that George Gruhn declared to be the finest example of a Banner SJ extant.

The woman in charge of Montana custom orders when Gibson briefly agreed to producing reissues of my collection (you and I know who she is, a wonderful luthier), arranged for the production of replicas of that purfling. Alas, Gibson bailed (but produced 50 semi-accurate copies of the guitar), and terminated the arrangement with the purfling producer.

Never fear, though! A company that I cannot presently name is stepping into the breach!

When, JT, when? WHEN?

I’m hoping and guessing either Pre War Guitar Company or Collings? I could probably buy the 46 SJ near me for $12,999 in the meanwhile..... Just trying to trade my house, car...I made the mistake of playing it for 4 seconds!

BluesKing777.

When, JT, when? WHEN?

I’m hoping and guessing either Pre War Guitar Company or Collings? I could probably buy the 46 SJ near me for $12,999 in the meanwhile..... Just trying to trade my house, car...I made the mistake of playing it for 4 seconds!

BluesKing777.

https://themusicemporium.com/guitars/acoustic/fairbanks-f-35-limited-kalamazoo-gal-1-of-25

fai-kgal-1333-1.jpg

History comes into it, not nationalism, at least from my perspective. Think of Martin, building guitars for the last 185 years, and Gibson for the last 120 years. Whenever I see an ancient tintype of some cowboy on the American frontier with a guitar, I get out a magnifying glass to try to figure out what it is.

I've played a Martin guitar that was built at the time of the American Civil War, and Gibsons from the Roaring 20's and the Great Depression.

That's the type of thing we don't want to lose by seeing a company like Gibson move production offshore.

Building great guitars, both acoustic and electric, is an American tradition that many of us would like to preserve.

Bingo!!!

I think this is an older run. JT May have something else in the works. It is a nice looking guitar.

Yes, I wasn't talking about that project, but something else.

This said, Dale is doing a wonderful job with those. There's currently a build thread about 1 on AGF. I had an original Gal sign 25 labels for Dale and got some maple that came from 225 Parsons St. during WWII, which Dale is using for bridge plates and the "Only a Kalamazoo Gal is Good Enough" banners.

I've no financial interest in the project. I just like what Dale does and he's committed to giving a portion of the proceeds to a women's history non-profit.

Archived