Gibson Brands Forums

Corrosion on pick ups

Greetings all.....newly joined. Recently acquired a 1974 ES-355TD and there's some greenish corrosion on the pick-ups. Some research provided a partial explanation....that the original pick guard disintegrates over time and the chemical break down causes the corrosion. Looking to remove the corrosion without disturbing finish. Any thought much appreciated. Thanks.

This is why you must always wipe-down all the metal parts before putting a guitar away for a while; it does not take much time for things to get bad. If the pups are (were!) gold plated then there's nothing that can be done except clean the pups and put up with the missing gold. Hopefully the corrosion is light and doesn't go deep into the top of the pups. If it's deep then the damage is done and you will just gave to refer to the new look as "mojo".

If this were my problem, I'd un-string, put a cloth over the guitar and completely remove the pups from the rings to get at the tops and the sides with a light metal polish.

Good luck

This is why you must always wipe-down all the metal parts before putting a guitar away for a while; it does not take much time for things to get bad. If the pups are (were!) gold plated then there's nothing that can be done except clean the pups and put up with the missing gold. Hopefully the corrosion is light and doesn't go deep into the top of the pups. If it's deep then the damage is done and you will just gave to refer to the new look as "mojo".

If this were my problem, I'd un-string, put a cloth over the guitar and completely remove the pups from the rings to get at the tops and the sides with a light metal polish.

Good luck

Thanks. Yeah, unfortunately, the guitar had been in its case for a couple years, and the corrosion went unchecked, so...... Appreciate the response.

Archived