Gibson Brands Forums

65 Hbird Demo

JuanCarlosVejar

So why does Gibson not put an accurate 1960s bracing in any of their HBs (at least to my knowledge)? I keep thinking if Bozeman built an HB with a fatter neck and a 1 3/4" nut but with the non-scalloped bracing I might be all over it.

I’ve wondered the same thing.

Why were they not willing to put straight bracing on those vintage style Hbirds and Doves?

Don’t get me wrong the TV birds can sound wonderful but it’s still not going all the way.

Hopefully we can see straight bracing make a return in the next few years at Bozeman.

JC

Folks,

This is probably the best sounding demo of a bird my ears have heard:

Sounds like a freaking church!

JC

Hard to tell, to my ears. It's mic'd too far away--you cant tell that by the amount of "room" ambience in his voice when he talks: a bit of what is probably natural echo. You want to close-mic that puppy to get a better feel.

That chorus effect comes in part due to the ceramic saddle. Just ask Em7 about that.

Hard to tell, to my ears. It's mic'd too far away--you cant tell that by the amount of "room" ambience in his voice when he talks: a bit of what is probably natural echo. You want to close-mic that puppy to get a better feel.

That chorus effect comes in part due to the ceramic saddle. Just ask Em7 about that.

The ceramic saddles always add an extra splashy clanng, which of course also ring through in the bass. Something to treasure, , ,

yet the trap is that some of these oldies get tinny-metallic trebs.

The 65'er above is a lot of new strings and less sweet ol' dry-dripping sugar-oil (yes, there is a splash inside that mix).

I'd like to hear it played with a feeling that actually knows how to and tries to produce some real Bird nectar. It takes soul to handle soul.

That said, it's not out-counted here, , , at all - just needs another round in another mood.

Anyways - an opportunity to set this one up again. Though no contest, it beats the OMG-Gibson like a spinning cat. In my perception anyway.

1963 ~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDTTri080ok

So why does Gibson not put an accurate 1960s bracing in any of their HBs (at least to my knowledge)? I keep thinking if Bozeman built an HB with a fatter neck and a 1 3/4" nut but with the non-scalloped bracing I might be all over it.

I've wondered the same thing.

Why were they not willing to put straight bracing on those vintage style Hbirds and Doves?

Don't get me wrong the TV birds can sound wonderful but it's still not going all the way.

Hopefully we can see straight bracing make a return in the next few years at Bozeman.

You gentlemen seem to have forgot Bozeman put out an exact 1967 Southern Jumbo a couple of years ago.

It's there to find in the Tube.

There's also a version called the 1962, which has the slim back-braces.

If they are the same thing, I don't know.

You gentlemen seem to have forgot Bozeman put out an exact 1967 Southern Jumbo a couple of years ago.

It's there to find in the Tube.

There's also a version called the 1962, which has the slim back-braces.

If they are the same thing, I don't know.

The 67 your referring to was a copy of Tim Christensen’s 67 SJ.

It was released as his signature model in Denmark (Run of 30 units)

And as simply a 67 replica for the US market:

Unless you know something I don’t ... I’m pretty sure the top braces were scalloped in the prototype and actual production run.

In the video he says something to the tune of “it doesn’t sound exactly like the guitar it’s based upon but has the same warmth which I think is the quality of gibsons”

From the little he plays in the video ... I think it sounds very nice!

If anyone has one of these on the forum ... Would you be kind enough to peek inside with a small mirror?

JC

The 67 your referring to was a copy of Tim Christensen's 67 SJ.

It was released as his signature model in Denmark (Run of 30 units)

And as simply a 67 replica for the US market:

Unless you know something I don't ... I'm pretty sure the top braces were scalloped in the prototype and actual production run.

In the video he says something to the tune of "it doesn't sound exactly like the guitar it's based upon but has the same warmth which I think is the quality of gibsons"

From the little he plays in the video ... I think it sounds very nice!

If anyone has one of these on the forum ... Would you be kind enough to peek inside with a small mirror?

Yups, that's the one - as I understood it they the opened the old 67'er and simply copied the thing. But let's try to find out beyond doubt.

Have to say, it would be hard to hit the exact same sound with 50 years between them anyway.

Still I quite often enjoy how closely related my 2012 TV Bird and my 1963 SJ, in spite of the significant structural differences, actually are.

Talking basic genes here, not finer nuances.

Btw, JCV - how do you hear the Runnin' on Faith Bird ?

(in the cans)

I liked the Faith Bird... sounds really good .

By any chance were the strings new when you did the 63 demo?

I’d agree with you on the sound of the TV models even if they are constructed a bit different to the actual vintage guitars ... they approximate the sound just enough.

JC

I liked the Faith Bird... sounds really good .

By any chance were the strings new when you did the 63 demo?

I'd agree with you on the sound of the TV models even if they are constructed a bit different to the actual vintage guitars ... they approximate the sound just enough.

Wait a minute - I'm not represented in the clips above. Think the only 1963-test I did was the ol' ceramic saddled avatar-SJ.

3-4 years ago ~ https://soundcloud.c...-southern-jumbo

Glad U like the Faith Bird ^ I've seen several people play it and the guit. might be located in Germany.

Archived