• You cannot reply to this topic

Mahogany top J45

#41 User is offline   billroy 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access

Posted 12 December 2018 - 11:46 AM

View PostE-minor7, on 11 December 2018 - 09:20 PM, said:

[/b][/size]1960's ~ Posted Image[/font]

Man that's awesome! I don't know if it's another thread... but geeze, if anyone else has picks of themselves back in the day that they're willing to share, would love to see them. It got me looking through some of my old snapshots, nothing guitar related, but was a fun walk down memory lane for myself, beards, beads and long hair to boot.
'18 Gibson J45, vintage
'86 Guild D25
'00 Fender Strat (American Standard)
'90 Fender Strat (Korea, bought in an open market in Korea... yeah it might be real)
'68 Gibson SG
'17 Several 3 String CBGs

"Want people to listen to your stuff, don't play boring stuff..." heard somewhere.

#42 User is offline   j45nick 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 13 December 2018 - 07:57 AM

View PostE-minor7, on 11 December 2018 - 09:20 PM, said:

A nice over-vue on one of the Forum's more spectacular guitars.
The floating brace you talk about was probably the so called JLD-system - https://www.google.d...NJVhfiQEq8DbLM:

No, it was an entirely different arrangement that may have served a similar purpose. I have heard of other Gibsons in the late 1960's (specifically, J-200's) fitted with the same "appliance" Gibson put in my J-45 in 1968, but have never seen a drawing. From memory, there were two vertical mahogany pieces glued to the sides of the guitar, with a transverse floating brace under the top resting on these, in the middle of which was a vertical metal screwpost adjusted by a thumbscrew that butted up against the underside of the big plywood bridgeplate just behind the apex of the x-brace.

The concept would be functionally similar to the Bridge Doctor, but entirely different in design.

I cut all of this out of the guitar in 1968, except for the mahogany side stays, thinking the whole arrangement was something Gibson accidentally left in place while re-topping the guitar. Ross Teigen removed the remains of those mahogany side posts when he did extensive work on the guitar a few years ago. I have the remains of those pieces in my parts bin, but the rest of the parts are long gone. Ross also removed and replaced the big ply bridgeplate with a normal-sized maple one, and the remains of the old ply plate in my parts bin are too badly damaged to see where the adjusting post might have landed on it.

I bet someone here --somebody like ZW--knows exactly what this was, and why Gibson did it.

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users