Gibson Brands Forums

Mahogany top J45

MorrisrownSal

Sal, I assume you're referring to the all mahogany J45. I have a friend who has had his for a few years. Plays very nicely. I play it once every month or so at a jam I host and he attends. He's also primarily a fingerpicker and his is setup similar to my J45TV. Real soft and easy-on-the-fingers. We swap guitars with each other. We both think that my guitar has a louder acoustic sound, but his is maybe a little more warm sounding. Before I ever saw his guitar, I expected it to be kind of plain or generic looking, but the all-hog J45 has it's own beauty. Pretty sweet guitar and I wouldn't pass one up if I stumbled on a good deal. But, I can say that about several guitars....lol

I wanted to echo MoPick’s observations about the all-mahogany J-45; I have the hog Banner (‘43-‘44), and it is warm, not the loudest tool in the shed, but I love the way the top loads up under heavy strumming- it’s definitely up to the task of comping some hard rhythm chords.

Also- I saw the two Greg K all hog 2018 J-45 demos. . ‘first time I ever felt like he was not highlighting the unique sound that an all mahogany J-45 can do… too much D chord stuff using the upper strings, when the heart of that guitar is in the low-end. They can rumble.

I have played spent any time with one - a 1944 Banner. I agree with the above in that it was a warm sounding instrument. This one had a somewhat slower decay than my '42 J-50. Thing with me though is it has taken me a very long time to warm up to all-mahogany guitars.

Thanks again gents. 62 - alls I can say is I am sorry some of the others are not posting, and I am sorry you are not. This forum is great for all of your knowledge. Snark is fine... Music is fine... but the core is the information.

By the way... I listed my Tak for sale because I was watching the price of one of these mahogany J45s for the last few months on reverb (CME is the seller - great to deal with). I actually made an offer for this specific guitar, and it was turned down. Yesterday they dropped the price, and I offered below their offer, and my prior offer, and they accepted. I am buying this for $1650, and I hope its a cool guitar. The new ones are $2900 MAP... but more likely sell for $2500ish.

https://reverb.com/i...shell-case-used

edited again... what happened with Murph? I must have missed something. Bummer.

Thanks again gents. 62 - alls I can say is I am sorry some of the others are not posting, and I am sorry you are not. This forum is great for all of your knowledge. Snark is fine... Music is fine... but the core is the information.

By the way... I listed my Tak for sale because I was watching the price of one of these mahogany J45s for the last few months on reverb (CME is the seller - great to deal with). I actually made an offer for this specific guitar, and it was turned down. Yesterday they dropped the price, and I offered below their offer, and my prior offer, and they accepted. I am buying this for $1650, and I hope its a cool guitar. The new ones are $2900 MAP... but more likely sell for $2500ish.

https://reverb.com/i...shell-case-used

That's great! I don't lust after too many guitars anymore, but if I were to add any to my collection, it would be an all mahogany J-45 and one with maple back and sides. Those tempt me. I will live vicariously through you, though, if I never get either. Enjoy!

Red 333

I've been tempted by these too. Hope you like it.

I haven't heard anything from your old bird lately, do you still have it?

I haven't heard any good jokes lately and I am also sad to see the member disappear over an old joke that had no malice.

By the way, did you hear the one about ........?

I love all-mahogany J-45s and regret selling a 1944-ish example that I once owned.

All mahogany falttops done right, and Gibson has, to my ears, led that charge, are among my all time favorite guitars.

This said, but for one exception, I've only played vintage (1930s and 1940s) examples. The exception was Gibson Montana's copy of my personal 1943 LG-1. The copy (which I had to purchase to try out) was a very nice guitar. No, not the equivalent of the vintage version. But, in 75 years ...

JT how is it going amigo. Saying hello from the border country here in Sonoita AZ. Hope to see you again soon. GT

I love all-mahogany J-45s and regret selling a 1944-ish example that I once owned.

All mahogany falttops done right, and Gibson has, to my ears, led that charge, are among my all time favorite guitars.

This said, but for one exception, I've only played vintage (1930s and 1940s) examples. The exception was Gibson Montana's copy of my personal 1943 LG-1. The copy (which I had to purchase to try out) was a very nice guitar. No, not the equivalent of the vintage version. But, in 75 years ...

JT how is it going amigo. Saying hello from the border country here in Sonoita AZ. Hope to see you again soon. GT

GT,

That's my neck of the woods, as you know. Still working on that borderlands project. We should chat.

My verdict...

I love the guitar. I like it at least as much as my J50.

It’s loud and it’s mellow. Great low end. Great strummer.... I am floored by this guitar. That’s two used Gibsons in a month that have knocked me out.... the AJ and this one.

Not a fan of the gold tuners though...

My verdict...

I love the guitar. I like it at least as much as my J50.

It’s loud and it’s mellow. Great low end. Great strummer.... I am floored by this guitar. That’s two used Gibsons in a month that have knocked me out.... the AJ and this one.

Not a fan of the gold tuners though...

I hear you on the gold tuners. The fact that the dealer wouldn't budge off of MSRP and the gold is what made me not pull the trigger, but the one I played really was wonderful.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, It's almost a month later. This guitar still floors me. It might not be everyone's cup of joe, but to me it is dark, powerful, and flat our perfect for my vocals. I find myself reaching for it way too often!

It is also very sensitive to String choice. Sunbeams or any nickel lights make it sound jangly and crisp, and PB Lights (right now I have Martin Authentic Acoustic PB Treated Lights) make it sound half jangly J45 / half AJ from the Underworld.

I changed the tuners to Gotoh three on a plate, and if the Klusons were available I would have probably picked those. I also took off the flubber purple guard, which to me just did not look right on this brown top, and I had Holter Pickguards (Taylor Mullins) make me a batwing in black... properly measured.

In my opinion, this type of guard... in black... is what Bozeman should put on the guitar. I bet they would sell way more too.

The Baggs Element VTc, Black Nut, and Tusq saddle just sound great acoustically, and fantastic plugged in through my Bose T1 Tonematch mixer / L1 Compact.

iWMElPTl.jpg

Ok, It's almost a month later. This guitar still floors me. It might not be everyone's cup of joe, but to me it is dark, powerful, and flat our perfect for my vocals. I find myself reaching for it way too often!

iWMElPTl.jpg

That's a seriously good-looking guitar.

Thanks Nick and Dave.

I have one thing left to do on this guitar... and it’s an OCD thing.

Under the 3 on a plate tuners are a few holes from the Grover Rotos. It BOTHERs me that they are infilled underneath. Hahahaha.

On a free Saturday I plan to take off the tuners, fill the holes with mahogany dust and glue, and put the tuners back on. I bought the bag of dust off amazon. I thought it would be a small bag. It’s like a shoebox full....

So if anyone needs mahogany dust!... you know where I am.

Archived