Gibson Brands Forums

2019 SG Special

Bettyboo

Oh MY!!!

msp_love.gif

Even the Bevel Police would approve of that one, sellen! Utterly GORGEOUS!

Is that one a Re-Issue, though? It looks too good to be otherwise.

msp_thumbup.gif

Pip.

EDIT : I missed this one earlier...

Yes! Easily one of the tastiest offerings from the last few years.

msp_thumbup.gif

Yes a Custom shop reissue.

The Junior is very cool [thumbup]

• Upvote 2

Hi sellen,

Yeah, I'm not an SG guy at all, but that SG you posted a pic of is one nice looking Gibson... I have pondered the thought of adding an SG to my collection - as my very first guitar was an Epi-SG which was a superb guitar for a beginner. That guitar did me well until I bought my first 1996 Epi-Nighthawk. I just worry about the neck dive with the SG - hahaha! JK msp_biggrin.gif Best regards!

• Upvote 1

sg special are supercool in the 60's styling [thumbup]

This one is on the used marked, in my corner of the world. About the same $ as the new Special Tempting

zHCbYJz.jpg

Tempting.... yes...............I say ...DO IT!!!!!!

Edited by RowdyMoon
  • Upvote 1

Please post pics after it arrives? [smile]

Yeah, I will do, but I haven't got a delivery date yet. Also, I reckon that the special and junior would look great together, but they'll be over 5,000 miles apart, sadly as I'm working over in Asia currently.

sg special are supercool in the 60's styling [thumbup]

This one is on the used marked, in my corner of the world. About the same $ as the new Special Tempting

zHCbYJz.jpg

Yeah, I agree - it looks lovely.

Yes! Easily one of the tastiest offerings from the last few years.

msp_thumbup.gif

Yeah the SG juniors are great; I keep saying it, but folks who haven't played one really need to try them out - if I could only have 1 guitar, It'd be the SG junior; it's so versatile and punchy with a lovely bite to it.

Wow...been inactive for awhile and I see people here biggering over prices? +:-@[confused] ... Well, anyways I placed an order at Sweetwater for the pelham blue 2019 SG Special and I think its a fair price for this guitar. Gibson did not put a gun to my head in purchasing it. I WANT IT and I DECIDED I will pay the fair asking price for it. Cool thing about Gibson is that they offer USA made guitars at every price point all can afford, $799 and up...

Edited by bluesguitar65

• 2 months later...

I'm part of the gang of suckers that didn't think this is an overpriced POS. I pulled the trigger on the burgundy through Sweetwater in December and have been waiting patiently. It's been shipped and arrives in a few days. I'm stoked. I love SGs and have been jonesing for a vintage type true Special for years and 1500$ seemed very fair to me. Vintage Specials run 5000-8000$ on average. Custom shop 2400-4400$. It's a limited run. Those finishes are to die for. They've already taken it off the site. I suspect if I don't bond with it I'll get close to what I payed for it when flip time comes. On a different note, I'd love be a fly on rhe wall at Gibson product development meetings when they carefully take into consideration the posts on these forums. On another different note, does anyone know why the bridges on these are straight vs how they're angled on vintage and custom shop versions? Is there a reason or is that an actual cost cutting measure?

...On another different note, does anyone know why the bridges on these are straight vs how they're angled on vintage and custom shop versions? Is there a reason?...

Look closely at the Stop-bar / bridge (aka 'McCarty Bridge') unit on these guitars and you will see that it is 'compensated' - i.e. there is a raised and staggered line - a set of six bars like a simplistic lightning bolt shape - running across the topmost surface of the unit which follows, roughly, the shape which a set of individual saddles would describe on an ABR-1. Hence it runs from slightly 'nearer-the-frets' at the high 'E' to 'further-from-the-frets' at the low 'E'. The G is further back than the D just as it would be on an adjustable bridge which is important for players using an unwound G - which, on an SG, would be almost all of us.

The original McCarty bridge, OTOH, was designed with no such ridge nor even an angled top surface so the whole unit had to be bolted on at an angle to the frets to get intonation in the right ballpark.

Both types of bridges are adjustable as an entire unit by using the grub-screws seen just behind the fixing bolts which can vary the distance the bridge rests from the bolt-axis. This is necessary to allow the use of different gauges of strings - i.e. a set of Extra-Light strings would need a different overall nut-to-bridge/saddle length than Medium gauge or Heavy gauge etc. Furthermore going forward on one grub-screw whilst back on the other will alter the angle of the entire unit relative to the frets so, for instance, users of Light-Top Heavy-Bottom sets can also get good intonation.

Looking forward to the NGD pics!

Pip.

Edited by pippy
  • Upvote 1

The new Gibson site seems to be kind of sparse, no Specials are listed or even any SG's with P90s.. Could it cause the remaining vender stock of these new 2019 SG Specials purchase price to go up?

The image links are still there but the info pages seem to be gone.SGSP19VNCH1_MAIN_HERO_01.jpg

SGSP19FPCH1_MAIN_HERO_01.jpg

Edited by mihcmac

The new Gibson site seems to be kind of sparse, no Specials are listed or even any SG's with P90s.. Could it cause the remaining vendor stock of these new 2019 SG Specials purchase price to go up?...

All I can say is that in the UK you can get them - they're in stock now - in either colour for the same price as they were selling for when this thread was started.

Pip.

Edited by pippy

• 9 months later...

Wonderful instrument, very well made w/ nice attention to detail & superb fit & finish.    Weight, balance & playability is stellar as is the vibe, not to mention the indescribable smell of a well applied, fresh nitro finish.  Nothing smells sweeter than “new Gibson” IMHO!

Gripes:   Gibson’s advertised specs indicate guts as “hand wired w/ orange drop capacitors”.   Mine features a PC board w/ no sign of orange drops.  I’ve checked out several other online reviews of this model which feature the same electronics.  

Perhaps Gibson experienced an overwhelming demand for this model, thus elected to sub PC guts in order to meet deliveries?  If so, it would be a nice move on their part to offer hand wired harnesses to those owners who supported this model’s release as a concession for the associated disappointment in opening the control cavity!?!

With that said,... the 2019 Pelham Blue SG Special is still one hell of a guitar & at this price point, certainly one of the finest electric guitars produced this year. 

• 1 month later...